rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Scorer

I've tried to read Kristine Herron's book "Durnford 1879", but I'm afraid that I got no further than about two chapters.

There are a couple of reason for this. Firstly, I'm sorry to say that the style of writing was for me very difficult to read. I found that the very short paragraphs do not help with continuity, and I found myself losing track of the story very quickly.

This was a contribution to the second problem, which is that there was a lot of repetition, which didn't seem to advance the story at all. I know that I only got a short way, but I have to say that what I read didn't really tell me anything.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but it's my view, right or wrong. I'll try to have another go, and if I do and succeed, I'll try to let you know what I think.
Colin

Scorer

I�ve read similar comments about the books, not sure which volume you have got or if both, so you are not alone in this.

That said, Kris had to try to put together loads of loose papers, etc., that were in no sort of order, stored in different unrelated files, no-one seemingly having connected them as belonging to a single event...with the intention of creating a story from them as best as she could.

As far as I can guess, the idea was to get the papers in the one or two publications and in print to prevent them being lost, or the concept not followed through for various reasons...a chance of losing heart, etc., with the task.

Therefore, they are then brought to the attention of those interested, hopefully in the future others adding to the new information, filling in gaps, etc., with any further papers that are found, which intriguingly is suggested may exist, but as with the others, filed in the wrong places.

Speaking for myself, I do find the so-called reviews on amazon confusing and harsh...as I am no expert...but managed to read both volumes....twice...but then I am open-minded and wasn�t seeking to find fault deliberately.

I actually read a book in the last year or two by a well-known AZW author that was full of basic errors all the way through, yet I never saw similar objections made by readers......many comments being �diplomatic: for want of a better word, not wishing to destroy the book�s credibility at the get-go.

I was so pleased with my Durnford Volumes, whether the wrong publications or not, that I recently acquired another set....I just feel as adults, we should be able to distinguish new facts no matter how presented, disorderly or otherwise...evidence never ever expected to be found 100+ years later with all the Ts crossed and Is dotted in pristine condition.

We should just appreciate it was found to begin with...rather than lost

Hope you give the books another go...they are well worth it

Coll
The Scorer

Thanks - I'll do my best!
Colin

Scorer

Once you read and comprehend the details in The Isandhlwana Papers, I reckon, like myself, you�ll wonder why not even AZW authors/historians have commented on the new evidence, as it quite likely impacts on their own works over the years, at least regarding the main points covered.

Why are the only discussion(s) about the publishing issues, not a jot about what has been discovered after 140 years.

It all adds to the mystery I guess...

...one for Sherlock Holmes methinks.

Thanks for responding to my request for opinions...more hopefully on the contents, not the problems getting them released.

Regards

Coll
New Col Durnford Books To Be Released