rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
50th Anniversary Gala 'Zulu' Premiere
Peter
Site Admin

Not sure how many of you are aware, but on the 10th June there is a special premiere at Odeon Leicester Square of the digitally remastered film.. Much more information available here:

http://walkingwiththewounded.org.uk/fundraising/zulu50/
Alan
Site Admin

Further details from Nicky Rattray.

On Tuesday 10th June 2014 there will be an exciting red-carpet VIP Charity Gala Evening in celebration
of the 50th Anniversary of the classic British film ZULU. It has been digitally re-mastered and it will be
a rare opportunity to see it in its original wide-screen format. Please support our charities, raising
funds to retrain and re-skill our wounded and support them in finding new careers outside the
Military, and have a fantastic night out at the world-famous Odeon Leicester Square London �
you can buy tickets at www.zulu50.com If you know anyone else who might be interested in this,
please do forward this message.

Last edited by Alan on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Error with the link above so here's another way in:
http://walkingwiththewounded.org.uk/support-the-walk/wwtw-events/zulu50/

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Sorry, a full point slipped in after the .com
It's OK now.

Alan
Site Admin

Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi has worn well.

The British are apparently still touchy about the defeat at Isandlwana, according to Prince Buthelezi, who said that during the Prince of Wales� 2011 visit to South Africa, a plan to lay flowers on the battlefield graves together was �torpedoed by some diplomats who didn�t think it would look good�.
I didn't know that but I suspect the reason was fear (by the Foreign Office) of offending South African sensibilities. Given that it was a Zulu victory I don't think there was anything to be upset about!

Peter
mike snook 2

Isandlwana is not uncommonly pressed into service as an IFP rallying cry. Under Zuma (a Zulu) the ANC also wanted a piece of the Isandlwana action. Thus the diplomats would not wish to do anything with the remotest potential for the heir to be swept up in South African party politics. It is in my view most likely to do with the traditional maintenance of the political impartiality of the Crown around the Commonwealth. But what do I know.

Regards

Mike
timothylrose

Mike that's why they were very keen for us to go out in 1999 - the 120th was used as a pre election rallying meet for the Zulu nation - not into the politics but at the end of the day we had 1800 in traditional costume on the battlefield with another 10,000 supporters at Isandlwana - if nothing else the sheer numbers and noise gave us beleaguered redcoats a bit of an idea of how the chaps must of felt as they were coming on towards them!

Atb - Tim
mike snook 2

I'll bet it did Tim. I've seen the photos! There was another big event at the 125th with a big crowd (and impi) in the presence of HM King Goodwill, at which I had the honour of speaking, followed by a big black tie bash at Isandlwana Lodge that night, hosted by the lovely Pat Stubbs. Also present the Rattrays, Knightie, Ron and Peter and their respective good ladies, Brig David Keenan (then our DA), Rob Gerard and few other usual suspects. Great day, great night. Of course we laid poppy wreaths on behalf of the British military to the fallen of both sides at both the British and Zulu monuments, a principle about which there is absolutely no sensitivity, but the constitutional position of the heir to the Crown sometimes means he can't do all the things we do or have the fun we have. I know from having spoken to him on the subject that the Prince of Wales is a great admirer of the Zulu people (as are we all). The Prince was of course the Colonel in Chief of the Royal Regiment of Wales and acutely alive to the history of the events of 1879. I have little doubt that he is well attuned to the history of all the other peoples of South Africa and shares the same respect for them as he does for the Zulu. Prince Buthelezi enjoys a joke and probably intended his remark to be taken in that spirit.

Regards

Mike
timothylrose

Mike - it's funny how things happen out there - for the 130th the two ceremonies were almost segregated and there was little interaction between the two sides - in fact when I suggested taking my people down to the Zulu gathering I got all manner of concerns raised by the organisers!

The 120th was an amazing experience - and left me with so many opportunities to enjoy feeding the lines - at one point at Isandlwana I had to go off and brief the impi and when I came back some RRW Sergeant had moved my lads from a tent and my comment of "I can't understand it I left 30 men here" fell on deaf ears, at which point I was told he had told them to move was followed up with "Quite, but I'd rather you asked next time Sergeant" was one of my finer moments!

Are you at the Zulu Premi�re - I have around 15 of my chaps there in kit providing an honour guard for the VIP's and then for the after film bash for the �1000 ticket holders.

Keep the faith - atb Tim
mike snook 2

Tim

Yes, missed the 130th which fell between my two long tours in RSA. At that time I was 'up the Nile' you might say, working for UNMIS in Khartoum.

No, not there at the screening; I fear we provincials cannot readily afford to mix it with the metropolitan elite, however worthy the charitable cause. (Especially anybody who resigned his commission in protest at an infamous act like the unwarranted disbandment of a Welsh battalion and now has to scratch a living as a Victorian military historian!).

I might have struggled my way to Cardiff, but London is I fear (literally) 'a bridge too far.'

I'll stick a monkey or a pony (I can never remember which is which!) into the can of each of those three charities next time I run into them which will be a far more sensible use of whatever money I do have than paying for gallons of diesel and a London hotel!!

As ever

Mike
peterw

A monkey is �500, a pony being �25 (thanks to Google as I'm not a betting man). Best stick to ponies!

Peter
mike snook 2

I should say so , Peter. I thought one or the other was 50, but then I've never been that well up on the Cockney vernacular. Don't tell me...it's not cockney either!?!

As ever

M

PS I should perhaps have added that I am perhaps less excited by the screening, as by a careful tally over the years I happen to know that I saw Zulu 36 times on the big screen, long before any other way of watching it had been invented. I shudder to think what the final tally is. I can probably lay claim to having been 'affected' by it more than most. It didn't just shape my hobbies and interests, but the very course of my life. I wouldn't have it any other way of course!
Alan
Site Admin

Checking up on the cockney slang page, one which caught my eye, although not rhyming slang.

Maggie - One pound coin - As in Maggie Thatcher (under whose premiership they were introduced,
I believe), because "They're brassy and think they're a sovereign."