rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
A long list?
Peter Ewart

A little something for the weekend? In all, I think it will be quite a longish list, but don't know if one has ever been compiled - not on the forum, anyway. Here is as good a place as any, so here's a start. Please add those you can think of, as I'm certain there are plenty more. And please correct any I have entered here if they are in error (such as Godwin-Austen, for example - and just possibly even Bromhead?)

In alphabetical order, for want of any other:

Bromhead; Crealock; Degacher; Godwin-Austen(?); Pearce; Shepstone; Tarboton; Scott; Symons; Uys; Weatherley.

Did think of some others but they escape me now.

Peter
peterw

You've lost me.

Peter
Denton Van Zan

Peter W

I think it's something to do with having family members in the Zulu War.

Brothers, mostly, going by Peter E.'s list, but Uys had 3 or 4 sons, whereas Weatherly had 1 son, who died with him at Hlobane, if I'm correct.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

C.J.
Sawubona

I know Godwin-Austen had an older brother (Henry?) who did a fair amount of exploration in the Himalayas, although his role in the AZW escapes me. Perhaps it's a list of AZW participants who had relatives who gave their names to notably high mountains worldwide? And yes, technically speaking the tallest mountain in the world is in the USA-- in Hawaii to be more exact.
John Young

A few more to be going on with:

Adams (Buffalo Border Guard); Lonsdale (N.N.C.) depending on how close Peter has set the relationship. MacLeroy (Natal Carbineers & PMB Town Guard).

I'm turning the library upside down looking for the names of the twins in the Coastal Column!

Coll,

Two sons for Weatherley, one died the other survived and joined the 80th and gained a commission.

Sawubona,

Remind me of that flag in the top quarter of the State Flag of Hawaii, I'm sure I've seen it before...

John Y.
John Young

Peter,

Are we doing the other side of the hill as well?

John Y.
John Young

Anstey (24th & R.E.); Wardell (24th & R.M.L.I.) the latter arrived too late, but was in theatre of operations. Frere (Commander-in-Chief & Rifle Brigade)

John Y.
Peter Ewart

Fraternal only - and involved in the AZW campaign. So I had doubts about Godwin-Austen as I was pretty sure his 9FW wound sent him home early but I was too lazy to check last night. Bromhead's brother was in the battalion and certainly around in September, but did he serve in Zululand before Ulundi (or, say, before the King's capture?) Perhaps he did. The Freres were father and son, so ineligible.

Yes, the Weatherley brothers qualify and, with the Uys family, may just be the only families who provided three or more members each from two generations - but I doubt it. Of course, there will have been many examples among, say, the iziGqoza but we'll never know their identities. Ditto on the Zulu side - a separate list for those we do know, perhaps? - and I have not included among the "allies" the "surname" kaMpande Zulu because I would allow Sikotha but not Mkhungo.

Trooper A. Pearse (I misspelt it above) was the Carbineer who assisted Col Luard RE in the 1885 Shepstone case after claiming to see papers removed from Durnford's body "while looking for the remains of his brother" on the same field on the 21 May visit. Shepstone, Scott, Symons and Tarboton are all well known pairs.

I'm sure there'll be others.

Peter

P.S. And a third, anomalous, list all on its own for Cetshwayo and Sikotha???
John Young

Peter,

Brothers in arms, can we extend it to brothers-in-law?

Scratch all from my list so far save Wardell & Anstey.

Adams, MacLeroy & Frere - fathers & sons. Lonsdale - cousins so not close enough!

John Y.
Lee Stevenson

The Bromwich brothers - Charles and Joseph 2/24th both at Rorke's Drift
Peter Ewart

Hi Lee. Thanks for that pair. Fancy everyone overlooking such a prominent pair, was my first thought. Then, out of interest, I thought I'd just look to see why I hadn't given them a thought. You know what's coming next ...

Can you spare a minute to update us on this discrepancy? I don't think you and ABJ provide a full list of the defenders in RDbTWWT, unless I've missed it. My copy (by no means the latest) of England's Sons gives only Joseph but I presume you and Julian must have compared notes on Charles at some stage? As you know (and for the benefit of of readers here) the Chard Roll includes him, as does the Mercury in April 1879 (no doubt based on the same roll, given that that list accompanied his published official report). Bourne excludes him, and Holme gives his detailed reasoning for following Bourne in The Silver Wreath and The Noble 24th, citing regimental sources for his decision to omit him.

Given that you and Julian are the world's combined oracle on the definitive list of defenders, can you explain the present position, or even confirm whether there is a difference or not between you and Julian on Bromwich? Or does Julian now include him? Or is he one of the three in the grey area between 155 and 158? If you've already covered this somewhere, just point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Peter

P.S. Meanwhile, I make that a definite dozen (if Bromhead OK) plus the Bromwich pair pending Lee or Julian coming on, John's coastal twins (Pearson's column or Crealock's, John?) and we'll have to count Sikotha as a half, the two options for his other half being either too fat or on the wrong side.
John Young

Peter,

They're Natal volunteers; their stories appeared in one of the 1929 Natal newspapers. I can picture them but I have found the paper as yet!

John Y.
Denton Van Zan

I can't find the actual details, but wasn't Trooper Blaikie(?) identified on the Isandlwana battlefield by his brother ?

C.J.
Martin Everett

Blackie certainly is one of very few who has his own marked grave on th battlefield.

I seem to recall there was a trumpet/bugle/cornet found on the battlefield of Isandlwana which was presented to the owner's brother at Rorke's Drift. It was sold at auction within the last five years - another example of two brothers serving.

Peter,

Add to the list - brothers Guy Dawnay (civilian), Viscount Downe (LG) and the Hon Eustace Dawnay (Cold Gds).

peterw

Sale 4020 Lot 332

The 'Isandhlwana' Cornet Used by Bandsman G. Conboy 24th Foot, recovered from the Battlefield
A brass Cornet, numbered '19405' made by 'F. Besson', Brevetee, 188 Euston Road, London', engraved 'Found at Isandhlwana, Farrier Sgt. J. Dorricott K.D.G. 13th June 1879', additionally engraved in a different hand 'Found whilst burying the dead. Presented at Rorke's Drift to E. Conboy by the Commd. Officer of 24th Regt. it being the instrument his brother (G. Conboy) used who was killed at Isandhlwana.', an emotive artefact in relatively good condition considering the find spot.
Estimate � 500-1,000

1-24/1424 Private George Conboy was killed in action at Isandhlwana 22.1.1879 and his effects including his South Africa Medal with clasp 1879 were claimed by his father.

A small number of musical instruments belonging to members of the Band of the 1st Battalion 24th Foot recovered from Isan
dhlwana, are displayed in the South Wales Borderers Museum, Brecon.

http://www.spink.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=4020+++++332+&refno=+8061756

Sold for �3,800. I was in the room for the sale.

Peter
A long list?