rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic

Is this other website at least as good, better, or not as good as Alan and Peter's much appreciated website?
As good
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Better
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Not As Good
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Cough, Splutter, reach for my dogs and guns!
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

ANOTHER CHAPEL
Galloglas

Several people have suggested to me that I might also find another Zulu War website interesting, namely one called:

ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)

I'm reminded of the shipwrecked Welshman whose rescuers were astonished to discover that he had painstakingly built two chapels. Asked why, he explained that he went every Sunday to one, but never to the other!

Is this 'other chapel' worth the journey, or is it better to walk past it?

To add spice I have added a 'Poll' for 14 days.

G
peterw

G

Err........isn't it up to you to make your own mind up?

Peter
Galloglas

I always make my own mind up, but I also take account of and appreciaate the opinions of (most of) the people on this website and across the full spectrum of them.

G
Galloglas

Err.....Including yours, of course.

G
peterw

G

I'm sorry but I find this topic very undignified. Would you go to a person's house and invite comparisons about the quality of furnishings or acceptability of the wine on offer? Or be given a lift and compare the ride to the last one you pimped?(to use a modern phrase).

Peter
Galloglas

No I wouldn't, but then I don't really see the similarities.

However, I might not go to somewhetre that I had never been to before if recognisably well informed people whose views I had come to trust and give weight to gave me the benefit of their experience.

As it happens, I have just spent a fairly unhelpful 20 minutes or so trying to find my way round the site. My first impressions aren't particularly favourable but I'd welcome other views.

I'll put you down as a dog reacher shall I?

G

PS Only joking, but that might be undignified too I suppose........
Galloglas

Just noticed that we've gone past 10,000 posts in this bit of the site.

Well done Alan, Peter, and all!

G
Peter Ewart

I visited the site once when I heard about it. It's not for me but "one's man's meat is another man's poison" and there is plenty of room on the internet for this one, that one and any number of others.

P.
Galloglas

Peter,

Thank you. I can easily see what you mean. This particular site here can be depended upon for its seriously thoughtful inputs, enduring wisdom on core issues, and for some very refreshing views - plus a few fireworks from time to time! The product of some excellent research pops up too.

It will be interesting to see what else might come in as views but I think my own are firmoing up already. There just isn't time for everything.

However, I really do wish this one would spell scheck in some way that helped mangled fingers to cope better.

G
Coll

Galloglas

This isn't the sort of topic I thought you'd be the one to start. Confused

It'll just encourage animosity between both sites which is really, really unhelpful.

I reckon Alan might delete this topic.

There is rivalry and comparison in many things, but the AZW community isn't large enough for any division, choosing this or that as better.

I just happen to prefer this site, as I've been a member for over 5 years now.

There was a quote that goes something like - 'Never change your horse midstream' - so here is where I'll remain, as long as I'm still accepted.

Coll

PS. Are you up to mischief ?
Galloglas

Coll,

No, I'm not up to mischief.

And, I don't have any perception of a 'community' or of there bring 'sides' or of any potential to 'divide' it. If this website and its contributors have some underlying wish towards establishing a conformity of viewpoint then that is not very apparent to me or I have very likely misjudged it.

Except where there are firm and sensible consensus views on some of the historical subjects I would not otherwise think or act as if there was some sort of binding conventional wisdom in place or in force. Or as if there was thus some sort of need to be or remain compliant with something singular. Even the most varying opinions of the type that we find here often provide very good cause for reflection. If only because they may at least challenge flaws in how something is portrayed or explained.

This site provides a very broad church and has beenn very inclusive in its wish to deliver "Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879". I would think that shutting things down should be a very rare event and Alan has always shown great wisdom in doing so whenever he has done it in the past.

G
Galloglas

Coll,

Just spotted your 'as long as I'm still accepted'.

I would never bother reading it at all if ever there was dispute or debate of that particular issue.

How could this bit of the site have possibly reached 10,000 (+) posts withut you?

I sense an e-Blue Plaque coming along one day in the very far future........

G
Graves1879

Hi All

I am a memeber of both forums and find that both forums have things to offer. Wink
One is not better than the other, they both have there strenghts and weakness.
Keith Smith

The site reminds me of the quotation by HG Wells: In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. I might also add that they are pretty free with their quotations without attribution. What more can I say?

KIS
Coll

Was there not another saying -

'United we stand - divided we fall'.

Coll
ANOTHER CHAPEL