rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Simon Smith - Cost Of A Durnford's Last Stand Commission ?
Coll

Simon

May I please ask you another question ?

In my prevous topic, I described a 'Durnford's Last Stand' waxwork display, based on the wagon scene from 'Zulu Dawn', where the full-length figure of Col. D., hat and all (not looking like Burt, of course) is standing atop a wagon firing his revolver at the encircling Zulus.

What would be the cost to commission such a painting of him on A3 ?

I ask out of curiosity.

Thanks in advance.

Coll

PS. I liked this idea, to compliment your previous 'Durnford Rides Out' painting, as a sort of before-and-after set.

The first showing him, quite relaxed, leaving the camp, compared with the second, showing his last few moments in the same camp.
smithart101

Coll,
I have sent you a private message
Simon

Simon

Thankyou for replying so quickly.

It's great to have an idea of costs for such a painting.

Regarding 'Durnford Rides Out', the delay in purchasing is driving me mad, but finances are tight at the moment, meaning I might have to obtain the print, rather than the other version you described.

Hopefully, later this year, I'll be able to acquire the painting, as I'm putting in plenty of hints for my birthday or Xmas.

Thanks once again for your time and answer.

Coll
Coll

Simon

On the subject of the 'Durnford Rides Out' painting, I've been discussing elsewhere, about books on Isandlwana, having the famous 'Last Stand Of The 24th' painting as a front jacket cover, but never Col. D., or many other units present.

Therefore, my question is -

With you having painted 'Durnford Rides Out', would an author/publisher be able to obtain your permission, etc., for to use it as a front cover on any new Isandlwana book, or would it not be available for this use ?

Thanks in advance.

Coll
smithart101

Coll,
the licence to use that image (or any other) can be purchased for use on a book cover. Of course the copyright remains with the artist.
regards
Simon

Simon

Thankyou very much for replying so quickly.

That is excellent news !

Straight away, I can think of a published book, which if reprinted, would 'suit' the 'Durnford Rides Out' painting perfectly.

The Road To Isandhlwana.
by R.W.F. Droogleever.

This book is, more-or-less, a biography about Col. D., which if reprinted, perhaps as a paperback, the painting would be most apt for its front cover.

Thanks again

Coll

PS. The recent painting you did, of Hook, etc., defending a door of the Hospital, would be an excellent front cover for a Rorke's Drift book.
Colin

Simon Smith

Very late in the day I know, and not even sure you visit here now, but just to say I finally obtained your Durnford Rides Out painting today, hanging on the wall at my armchair. Delighted with it...

May I also say, I find it amazing that it did indeed end up on the front cover of books about him by Kris Herron...I obtained 4 copies of them.

Well done good sir...I�m a very happy man as it gives me a sense of completion.

Best Regards

Coll

PS. Contacted you here rather than direct...being about 11 years late buying
Simon Smith - Cost Of A Durnford's Last Stand Commission ?