rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Wife and Daughter of Colonel AW Durnford
Galloglas

Has anybody managed to track any primary source or reliable secondary source material on Anthony Durnford's wife and/or daughter.

Most grateful for any steer on sources.

G
Coll

Galloglas

I've never heard anything about his wife, but apparently his daughter married a military man, but then seems to have disappeared from history.

However, I don't think these details have been confirmed in any sources, at least, those that I know of.

They are definitely a couple of people I'd be interested in knowing more about.

Sorry, this isn't of much help.

Coll
Martin Everett

Dear Coll,

It is easy to ask the question - but not so easy to answer. At the end of day someone has do some serious research - actually looking through some dusty documents. This is best I can do without personally visiting the National Archives at Kew..............

Durnford served in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), where, in 1853, he saved the Trincomalee harbour installations from destruction by fire. A year later he married Frances Tranchell, the youngest daughter of a retired lieutenant-colonel of the Ceylon Rifles. One son died in infancy, but a daughter, Frances (1857-1919), outlived both parents. A third child, a daughter, Julia, also died in infancy. The Durnfords separated sometime between 1860 and 1864. Durnford came to southern Africa in January 1872.

Coll

Martin

Yes. I understand that, but I didn't ask the question, I tried to answer it as best I can.

Coll
Galloglas

Coll,

You might be onto something there. Can you remember a name for the person the daughter married?

G
John Young

Coll,

Look at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bmuwgw/durnfordgen.htm
re-Durnford's daughter, her husband is named there.

Oddly A.W.D. is shown on there being born in Ceylon?

Mrs Durnford was in a Grace & Favour home, at one of the Royal Palaces. I did have the reference on my old computer, but it hasn't migrated to this one.

John Y.
Galloglas

John,

Thank you. I agree it's some sort of error as the date and place of birth are both wring for AW Durnford.

G
Coll

Galloglas

It is interesting you are seeking details about Anthony's wife and daughter, as at present I'm looking for a head-and-shoulders portrait photograph of his brother Edward.

Are you trying to trace any direct descendants of Anthony, or solely details about his wife and daughter ?

I'll understand if you don't wish to say.

If, on your 'travels' you uncover such a photograph of Edward, would you please let me know ?

Likewise, should I hear of any other information on his wife/daughter, I'll let you know.

Good luck with your search.

Coll
Galloglas

General interest as it must now be the case that there are some 4 or 5 intervening generations.

And this area seldom attracts interest or attention yet would have shaped Anthony Durnford's attitudes and personal morale.

Unhelpful also to have the unclear position flavoured by unhistorical speculations - including in Day of the Dead Moon.

G
Coll

Galloglas

I don't know if much more can be found out about their lives, apart from official records, but I've always got my fingers crossed that diaries, whether theirs or Anthony's might appear. Doubtful though.

I'd be very keen to know if his daughter had any children, but it would take a professional researcher to follow any line of descendants.

But, you never know, still reason to hope for such things.

Coll
Galloglas

It is reasonable to specualte that there are unpublished family papers and correspondence but also hard to imagine how these might now see the light of day so many years afterwards and containing as they most probably do matters which might properly still be deemed as private family business.

So it would need to be more spade work in public records..........as always.

G
Coll

Galloglas

If I'm correct, that is exactly what happened with the Curling letters.

Records are excellent, but as they suggest, official not personal, so if wishing to understand or know more about individuals, diaries, letters and things of that nature might add more in the way of character, personality and their ways of thinking.

Col. D., as you know, is a controversial figure, but with information being at this moment not enough to convince many, either in a good way or bad, about the man himself, such new items would assist, although only to maybe understand him a little better.

I'll still be keeping my fingers crossed.

Makes it hard to type though ! Wink

Coll
Graves1879

Coll just for information. Ian Woodason and I came across this grave a few years back.

Graves1879

Last edited by Graves1879 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll

Graves1879

Very kind of you to post these images.

Thankyou

Coll
Coll

Graves 1879

This Francis, will be Nell's brother Frank ?

Would this grave be in Ventnor Cemetery, Isle of Wight ?

If not, may I ask if you can please tell me which cemetery it is ?

I'm also hoping to locate Edward Durnford's (Anthony's brother) place of rest, as this, along with his photograph, are difficult to find.

Thanks for your help.

Coll
Wife and Daughter of Colonel AW Durnford