rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
AMB

Alan, Coll et al,

I�ve been doing other things of late and regret coming to this so late.

We all have our opinions with regards to events during the AZW.

Some people get very impassioned about things.

When all said and done, none of us were there; our thoughts are based upon reading, listening, watching documentaries, movies and - the lucky ones - walking the ground, but none of us were never actually doing any of the fighting. As I�ve said many times; �tis easy being an armchair general, especially with well informed hindsight!

Coll, welcome back.

AMB
Colin

AMB

You definitely have been busy, this request was made about 7 years ago, though I did rejoin and leave again...coming back last year I think, but the forum is hugely quiet, though during its years active, many have added great questions, answers and great info.

I�ve transferred to FB now, to keep up with the subject, but maintained my membership here to add any books, etc., I found out about.

It was strange seeing a reply on this topic, thought I had reapplied after having numerous drams and forgot about doing it !
Alan
Site Admin

Certainly was a while AMB.

I think the forum during its long eighteen or more years has covered virtually every important topic and had
some very intense times.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal more to look into, coupled with many expert contributors devoting their
energies to different subjects as well as some leaving this mortal coil.

I think that the main reason now for the site is as great source of information it provides. The topics remain
available as a source of academic reference.

As well as everything else, I feel that the connection with KZN is now being tainted with politics.

Alan,

Hope that you are keeping well?
I haven't posted for a long time and although the days of the great debates are long gone, for the reasons you have stated, you are absolutely correct when you say that this site holds a wealth of information contributed by so many over the years. Only the other day I was (again) going over the discussion on TMFHS.

I'm wondering if the old forum is still available for reference?

Regards Mel

Site Admin

Mel,

yes the Old Forum, although closed for new contributions, is still listed on the left and is accessible for reference use.
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/discussion.php?forid=1

It will only be us old hands who will know what TMFHS refers to. Sadly, Ron Lock is no longer with us.

Alan et al,

It is certainly sad as to how many of the old faces are no longer here. I was particularly saddened by Ron Lock�s passing.

This site remains an excellent source.

And the periodic additions to the forum topics only add to this superb body of on-line knowledge.

Alan, you can be very proud as the ringmaster of all this!

AMB
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Seconding what AMB wrote, I too think that this forum offers a superb body of on-line knowledge and discussion. It may be quieter than it was back in the day, but in my view it remains an important resource for amateur and professional alike. Long may it continue to be so.
Alan
Site Admin

Thank you all for your compliments. I must admit that it now gives me a little more
time for my gardening.

It is sad when friends move on in every sense, but they did become friends even though
I never met half of them, from all over the world. I have to bear in mind that it's over eighteen
years since starting.

I'm also glad that in that time I've been about ten times to South Africa seeing many of the
AZW sites. I stayed at FDL and Isandlwana Lodge, climbed Isandlwana to the cave, climbed
Black's Koppie and climbed up to the bell on Shiyane. I also managed to walk the Fugitives'
Trail and swim the Buffalo along side Ian Knight. I met up with Prince Patrick in Durban and
Prince Joseph in Ulundi and of course the special Prince Shange many times. So all in all, not
uneventful.