rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Assegai
David Rae

Hello All and thanks for letting me join this group. We've just got back from SA and the highlight was the trip to Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. We stayed at Rorke's Drift Lodge which I can recommend as a well priced place to stay with good food and the owner Paul is a solid, factual guide for the battlefields. Since coming home I've got the Zulu bug for now, so have watched the films again, read Saul David's book (OK I know how some of you feel about his views!) and determined to read more and visit Brecon.
In my garage I have several assegais (is that the plural?) which I do not know the provenance of. I have attached an image so perhaps someone can tell me if they appear to be tourist tat or old spears.
I hope the link works to the photos.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?I'd=100006350777153
Alan
Site Admin

David, the link doesn't work.

David - none of them appear to be Zulu spears - the forging of them is either the wrong shape or style - the large bladed "leaf style" one is probably Sudanese or from that region - the barbed one is a fishing spear and the weighted rolled head is probably quite a bit north of Zululand. There are certain "tricks" to i'ding genuine Zulu items if you are interested - were you there for the 140th anniversary at all you might have caught sight of me and my chaps in 24th kit. Atb - Tim
David Rae

Tim, thanks. We missed the 140th, in fact we did not hear of it until we arrived there! I suspect we would not have managed to get accommodation at that time, but are sad to have missed such an important day. Our visit however was excellent and I fail to see how anyone can stand on the site of Isandlwana and not have shivers down their spine. Truly, I felt a tangible connection with what happened there.
Assegai