rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Visit to Zululand Christmas 2007
Carl Daeche

I have just been given the opportunity to visit the battlefields of the AZW. This is truely a one-off, a once in a lifetime opportunity and I want to make sure that I make the most of it. I would love to hear from thosewho have visited recently and can point me towards any specific experiences?

Are their any contributors planning a visit between 27th Dec & 6th Jan 2008?

I am hoping to stay at Fugitives lodge for a couple of days as a base for RD and ISD. I would also like to experience a typical (non-tourist) zulu kraal. I would welcome any advice and suggestions.

I am attending the Caskie Harrow school lecture - a good starting point I feel. Will I bump into anyone there?

It would be great to hear from you.

Steve - the shooting in Florida was a hoot! - no MH though.

Carl Daeche

PS - is there any mileage in putting together a specific information page containing essential and useful information and advice for those wishing to make te most of their travels in Zululand?
AMB

Carl,

You lucky fellow!

I suggest that you get a copy of Laband's guide. Useful reading whilst still in Kent.

As for the trip itself, a stay at the Isandlwana Lodge is well worth the cost (it ain't cheap!).

I have a chum in SA who runs tours, so please give me a e-mail off line and I'll put you in touch.

Have a great trip. Beware though, once you've been once, Zululand will draw you back time and again...

Regards,

AMB

Looking at my ammo box as I write this!
Simunye
Robert John

Carl,

For a genuine Zulu experience you won't go far wrong at Simunye Lodge--
www.simunyelodge.co.za
Situated between Melmoth amd Eshowe --after you park your car you are picked up by ox wagen and transported to the village [ you can also ask to be taken in a 4by4 but that defeats the object of the exercise.
We only stayed one night but it was an afternoon and evening I will never forget----Shakaland is just down the road but that is very touristic !!
Above all enjoy it and don't forget to take plenty of film with you as your going to need it.

Robert

If you are fit,

Take a trip up top on Isandlwana Hill itself!

http://www.isandlwana1879.co.uk/index_files/Page1379.htm
Keith Smith

Carl

You will have a wonderful experience. Be sure to spend plenty of time looking round the periphery of Isandlwana, such as the hills on the escarpment and the Ngwebeni valley. You will, of course, need a good guide.

I'm not sure how much time you have so cannot offer other plans but you should try to visit the following: Prince Imperial memorial; Khambula; Hlobane; Ntombe (Myers) Drift. Sean Friend at Vryheid is an excellent guide for all these.

On the coast, if time also permits, visit the Ultimatum Tree and nearby Fort Pearson at Lower Drift, on the Thukela River. Further north are the sites of Gingindlovu and Nyezane and Eshowe itself. Ulundi and the nearby emaKhosini valley are also goods places to see. At Ulundi you can stay at Rex Duke's place in a Zulu hut (with all mod cons) and Rex is an excellent guide for the area.

If you need more, let me know in a private message. I am making my tenth 'last visit' next year!

KIS
AMB

Keith,

Since the fire, how much of the Ultimatum Tree is left?

AMB
Colin Fielding

Hi Carl

I'll be at Harrow, so we can have a chat then.

Best regards, Colin Fielding
Keith Smith

Andrew

It's a couple of years since I was last there and I hadn't heard about a fire. Perhaps a local resident might be more up to date than I am. Anyway, it is not far to walk down from Fort Pearson.

KIS
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Keith

I was there in 2006 and a large part of the grove where the ultimatum tree grew had indeed been damaged by fire. Conspiracy theories were rife at the time, but it may have been an accident, I suppose.

Paul
Neil Aspinshaw

Carl
I'll be back again in Jan (22nd..of course), fith time staying ad FDL.
I am going to see Rob on Monday, I have also got him a go with the Martinis and the Sniders whilst he's here, full military load 85g C & H No6, he'll need to have the smile surgically removed!. When you see him tell him Neil says to get some padding for his shoulder as he ain't hard enough.
Then Run!.

No seriously go enjoy, you'll be back. I go with Keith If you can do get in touch with Sean. Drop me an e-mail off forum and I'll forward you his address. If you can also drop into the Talana Museum, nice selection of AZW stuff.

Only nine weeks for me and counting.

Whilst I've not been back to the Ultimatum Tree for a number of years, local press reports at the time of the fire suggested that some sort of activist organisation had set fire deliberately to the tree.

AMB
Sawubona

Shakaland is touristy, but it will be a truly memorable experience if you can catch the dancing! It's not to be missed and I believe it occurs every night. As you're probably aware, Rorke's Drift has a new kraal replete with a dozen or so beehive huts and nguni cattle. Although I've not seen it, I gather it's hard to miss as it's just a couple hundred yards across the road from the chapel. And maybe if you have more time on your next trip, a drive to The Royal Natal National Park will be in order. It was something of a holy pilgrimage for moi. Ah, just to be on the location of the filming of Zulu albeit forty years later was pretty special. Besides, it's arguably some of the most breathtaking scenery in all of South Africa-- and that's saying something in a country chock full of breathtaking scenery. Enjoy your trip and be reasonably cautious. We trekked about armed with Mace and felt better for it, although it was never used nor did we ever feel as though we might need it.
Read Carol Batrus' "When Elephants Fly" for an excellent sense of life as a Zulu in Isandlwana Village in 2005 and rent a copy of the DVD "Yesterday" (or better still, buy a copy and watch it enough so that the Zulu is comprehensible without the English subtitles).
AMB

Sawubona,

The DVD 'Yesterday'. I've not herad of it. May one ask what it's about?

AMB
Sawubona

"Yesterday" is a movie filmed in Zululand by D. Roodt who also made the remake of "Cry the Beloved Country" a couple years back (which is also worth watching anytime if for no other reason than that Sir John Barry does the score and reinterprets the main theme to "Zulu" throughout). Yesterday is a simply plotted movie and if one is looking for action it's not your kinda flick, but most of it is filmed on location in the shadow of the Drakensburg and watching it is the next best thing to actually being in KwaZulu/Natal. Many of the actors and actresses are locals yet there isn't that feeling of watching a home movie that you might expect. And the entire dialogue is Zulu with English subtitles. IMHO, it's a great flick, but didn't get the Oscar for which it was nominated (something like best film in a foreign language). The Academy made up for this oversight by last year giving the Oscar to "Tsotsi", another film made in South Africa with a mixed bag dialogue of Xhosa, Zulu, Afrikaans, English and JoBerg slang.
"Yesterday" is simply a beautifully crafted film that should serve as a model to aspire to by the producers and directors (and sadly audiences) in The States, all who seem to feel that glitter, flash and megastars somehow make up for lack of substance. Enough said on the wrong forum, but I was asked. And FYI, at least one copy in available on eBay right now, but it's probably not PAL.
Visit to Zululand - Christmas 2007
David Payne

Carl

If you are looking for the holiday opportunity with a difference it can be arranged for you to stay in a hut at the "Zulu Village" at Rorke's Drift - opposite the chapel. There are zulus sleeping on site as well.
There are mattresses and there is a style of european toilet block for your convenience.

If you wish to follow this up send me a private email.

David
Visit to Zululand Christmas 2007