rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Looking for Officers Service
Justin Young

Can anyone help me with any information concerning Capt/Lt W.D Wilson of Bakers Horse service prior to Hlobane and post this battle.

I know he served prior to the ZW but can find no reference to him (although it could be near impossible to anything)and actually nothing of him at all prior or post Hlobane during the ZW. He's not mentioned at all by Tomasson in his book- I'm guessing because he was a 'Colonial' and not 'Imperial' Officer.

At some stage he was promoted Captain and its possible he served in the wars of 1880

Cheers

Justin Young
Keith Smith

The only information I can offer is that Mr W.D. Wilson, gentleman, was appointed a lieutenant in Baker's Horse in General Order No. 60 dated 19th March 1879.
KIS
Justin Young

Hi Keith

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure when He'd joined/rejoined this unit so this is very helpful.

Its also interesting that He is titled 'Gentleman' - I had missed an entry in the medal rolls that says He was a Sgt in Bakers Horse in 1878 - you don't usually think of 'Gentlemen' (although I've seen it in other Irregular units) as Sgt's but maybe he only held this rank for a short time.

Today I will make sure I get hold of a Copy of your book - Local General Orders, I'd somehow missed that this had been released and should prove invaluble.

Cheers
Justin
Gentlemen-Rankers!
John Young

Justin,

How about that former trooper in the Frontier Light Horse, as an example of a Gentleman-Ranker? - Trooper the Honourable Standish William Prendergast Vereker.

I have a document signed in 1879 signed by W.H. Tomasson, who refer than give his colonial rank styles himself as A Gentleman.

The British Army had its fill of Gentlemen-Rankers, so-much-so that Kipling recorded them in verse. George Hamilton Browne obviously considered himself one as he cribbed Kipling's open verse for his book titles.

John Y.
Justin Young

Hi John

Vereker was the very man I was thinking of but thanks for pointing out how relatively common it was to be a 'Gentlemen-Ranker' of course you are quite right - I must admit a feeling of being a bit daft for forgetting Kipling

Cheers
Justin
Looking for Officers Service