rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll

Mike

Does this mean we can put a face to the name ?

If so, it means I'll know who to hide from ! Wink

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

If you have LWotF, you had a sneak preview in the snapshot facing p175...

P.
mike snook 2

Clive

Good Lord! Somebody's gone and put a picture of some knackered old half-colonel in the back of my book. I'm blonde-haired and only 21....aren't I? That can't be me, surely. Crying or Very sad

Coll

You can run but you can't hide!!

As ever

Mike
secret
clive dickens

Col Snook
I will keep your secret so long as you remember me if at any time in the future I come before you on Orders
Clive Laughing
mike snook 2

Clive

I'm sure that a man as well read as you keeps his nose far too clean for that to happen!!

M
The Scorer

I received my copy on Saturday ... thanks to everyone at the SWB Museum for their help .... it's next on my list of books to read .... !

I, too, was concerned about the photo on the inside back cover .... I remember the dashing young cricketer for Newport CC all those years ago ..... come several!!

Very Happy
finihed
clive dickens

Col Snook
I have finished your book and I can honestly say that it is one if not the finest book that have read on our military past in fact I think that your latest book is better than the first two you get better as you go on so much so that I am very much looking for forward to your next works when is that to be? My favorite battles are included namely Majuba and Spion Kop along with other South African battlefields, I have visited most of the battlefields in South Africa and your book has also brought back memories of those places Keep it you are a very talented writer.
Clive Smile
AMB

Praise indeed! If Clive thinks it's good.....

I take it now that Colonel Mike will be hanging up his CBA and helmet and settling down behind his study laptop...?!

AMB
Coll

Ordered 'Into The Jaws Of Death' ! Very Happy

Coll
mike snook 2

Clive

Embarassed Thank you so much - such kind words makes all the lonely hours hunched over the keyboard more than worthwhile. I'm sorry for not acknowledging your message earlier, but for some reason, (probably good old-fashioned 'inattention' on my part), I just haven't seen it before now. I'm going to see my publisher next week to discuss a range of new projects, so I'm not yet sure what will be next.

Scorer,

'...as we that are left grow old.'
I never was the dashing one my friend - even less so when, shortly after the period in question, I played at university and then RMAS. The dashing one at the other end in those far-distant Sandhurst days was one Matt Fleming, so that my main object in life became not getting killed by the lofted straight drives whistling past my head at the non-striker's end!! Man, you've never seen a bloke hit it so hard!! I hung up the willow 20 or so years later, after captaining the last Army Staff College XI (before we moved to a 'joint' staff college system) to an undefeated final season -aided, it must be said, by a No 3 batsman who averaged over 100 in the season. So, when he was at the crease, my job was to stick it away for a single off the first ball of the over - hardly very dashing eh....the man who made a whole cricketing career out of the leg glance for one! Interesting bit of historical trivia connecting Victorian military history with cricket (!) - the first captain of Staff College cricket was from the Welch Regiment - and I was the last. Nothing like keeping it in the family eh?!

AMB,

I don't know about 'hanging' all that green stuff up. These days it's all I can do to pick it up! Is it just me or are the flak jackets getting distinctly mediaeval. No wonder we have to do all that tiresome running about stuff these days - nobody ever lived to their late 40s in the Middle Ages!

Coll

You won't even have to grit your teeth to read this one.....he only gets a little mention. (Nothing bad!). Enjoy. You'll like the Maiwand chapter I think. And here's a little historical secret all of your own [sod's law says you only ever run these things to earth, the week after it's all gone off to the printer]. I have repeated the generally accepted 'fact' that all three officers called Monteith at Maiwand were unrelated. Draw closer....in fact, [I had my suspicions on grounds of unlikely coincidence but could never prove it until now] two of them were brothers. Don't tell anybody!
Wink
Regards

Mike
Coll

Mike

I am looking forward to the Maiwand chapter, but hope I don't just leap ahead several pages to that chapter first.

Unless, of course, it is the first chapter ! Wink

Coll
Rich

Mike..My brother-in-law- comes over my house... he likes to practice the usual "5-finger discount" on my books especially my books on the Victorian era or European history..now what should I do when he wants ITJOD??????......he will definitely steal that..... Wink ...........
Coll

Mike

A book, devoted only to Maiwand, in the same mould of HCMDB would be excellent, as it is a battle less-known, and a story to be told.

I'm sure the chapter in ITJOD will cover it well, but I seem to recall mention, that it could be covered much more fully in a whole book.

Even better, if the C.O.I. transcript was discovered and could be included, as well as Burrows portrait. Wink

What reading that would be ! Very Happy

Only a suggestion, as I think it is obvious I have a personal interest in this specific engagement.

Coll
The Scorer

I should also have said how much I enjoyed the book.

I had two themes running through my mind whilst doing so ...

how did we actually manage to win any wars in the light of the failures?

and

how little I actually know about some of "Victoria's Little Wars"!

I think that I'd like to read a few books about, especially, the Anglo Boer War(s) ... anyone have any recommendations, please?

Very Happy
AMB

Colonel,

Currently back in the sun. Yep, CBA heavier than ever!

AMB
INTO THE JAWS OF DEATH