rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
mike snook 2

Rich

Thanks for the intelligence. Fingers crossed it continues to be well received.

As ever

Mike
Rich

OK Mike I know you're a perfectionist in the literary tradition of Flaubert but
... Wink but are you by any chance still tinkering with the scribbling?
Haven't seen a peep of "ITJOD" anywhere!

So, in the meantime, I'm poking my nose into "White Gold" which is an incredible and fascinating look at what happens when Britain left the sea to Islamic pirates from Morocco in the 17th century. Those fellows would attack either on the high seas or look for coastal communities like Cornwall to grab men, women and children who would become eventual white slaves back in Morocco for the infamous, despotic and cruel Islamic ruler Moulin Ismail.
mike snook 2

No, my friend, it passed well beyond my control some weeks ago and, wherever it is, is certainly a whole lot geographically closer to you than it is to me. So if one of us has to go and look for it...you're elected!

But to be serious, for a moment, I'll speak to my publisher this week to find out the latest update on the US release date. I haven't been notified of any significant change of plan so I expect their waiting for more paper...or ink...or oil for the presses...or whatever it is they need to make books with!! Can't be long now.

As ever

Mike
Rich

Thanks Mike...I'll note that the book is being advertised however they say "ship date is unavailable". Well this has nothing to do with you but recently I tried to get a book under those conditions and it turned it to be something out of a Marx Brothers movie. If I didn't have a sense of humor somebody would've ben pasted by me.... Cool... Suffice to say I got the book on my own said "do it yerself Rich!"....At this point I want a hassle-free experience in buying a book done by such an author as ye self!...I'll wait!
mike snook 2

Hi Rich

Yep ...I'd wait a bit if I were you. The publisher will send half a dozen to me as soon as they 'exist' - and I'll nip on here and tell you as soon as the parcel arrives. I haven't had the opportunity to ring them today, but will try and do so tomorrow to get a best estimate of the date.

As ever

Mike
snook books
snider volley

Guys and gals
i am brand new to forum and already giddy, as i have found another book by Mike Snook was available (already purchased through amazon and on its way) .
i am going to say i have read a many book but none has taken me there and in the same token pulled as much truth from the fog as Mike has done,truly a joy.
Did i say they LWOTF and HMCDB have each been read three times (didn't want to miss anything)and I'm waiting till the day when altimers sets in and i can read them every day afresh~!weeeeee(45 hope i have aways till then though)
Thank you Mike,
mike snook 2

Thank you so very much. It is always a great encouragement to hear such kind words. I am glad the books gave you pleasure and truly flattered that anybody would read them three times! Twice more than me! Very Happy

With all best wishes

Mike
mike snook 2

I spoke to the publisher and here is the latest sitrep on the new book.

The US edition of Into the Jaws of Death: British Military Blunders 1879-1900 will roll off the printing press on 29 November courtesy of the Naval Institute Press. So less than 3 weeks to go. This is a few weeks later than originally intended. Don't know why...schedules...slot at the printers...etc...whatever

There is no dfference, so far as I am aware, between the US and UK editions save for the dust jackets.

The UK launch date is set for February. It will be published by Frontline Books which is a joint effort between Greenhill and Pen & Sword. Best not to bother looking for Frontline on the web yet, because they are still working up their website and you'll just bump into other 'frontlines', which are the wrong ones and will confuse the issue.

As I understand it, the UK books have to cross the Atlantic from the American printing press to marry up with their British jackets put and to make their way into the shops.

Imagine........'Iceberg, dead ahead!' ......Now wouldn't that be a bore! We'd have to get James Cameron to send midget subs down to recover them!!

Best thing for UK buyers to do is go to your local Waterstone's or local book seller and place a pre-order, quoting the title and the author's name, which fortunately is not that commonplace amongst writers (nor in the Army List for that matter!).

Regards

Mike
AMB

Colonel,

We await supplies from America with baited breath! One does indeed hope for a lack of pirates and icebergs!

AMB
Martin Everett

Mike,

Any support for the museum on this?

mike snook 2

A

I worry a bit about U-boats as well!

Martin,

I am not 100% clear on your meaning - if you mean you also intend stocking it, then of course, I strongly urge people to pre-order through the better than excellent RRW Brecon Museum electronic shop, thus lending your support to our favourite regimental museum.

As ever

Mike
Martin Everett

Mike,

Thanks - it is just that we have not yet tracked down a source of supply so that any potential readers could have a signed copy.

mike snook 2

Martin

I'll talk to the Greenhill people - who are in the process of transitioning to Frontline - to find out what their new ordering system is and I'll give you a call.

As ever

Mike
Into The Jaws of Death
snider volley

The book arrived the day before Christmas!!woohoo!! I must say it was my favorite gift (albeit the compitition was socks sweaters etc.etc.) and it was placed with honor under the tree.
It has got me the cat oh nine tails twice from the little woman for lack of help and lounging by the fire with a book,doh.
hope everybodies Christmas was great.
Kymm
mike snook 2

Hi Kymm

There's globalisation for you - a book that I wrote in England out and being read in Washington state before the author himself has even seen a copy. Glad it outdid the socks in the Christmas popularity stakes. That's something at least!! Very Happy

Hope you enjoy the read.

Happy New Year

Mike
INTO THE JAWS OF DEATH