rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
QUICK QUIZ
Peter Ewart

It must be ages since there has been a brain teaser here, so I'll offer the following:

On the slopes of different mountains two future generals survived a dishing up in style. Was the younger, perhaps, related to someone well versed in that particular impi? No such consanguinity links our fourth man with the elder, despite the latter's return visit to the decorated slopes.

Just name the four men for me, please. It really shouldn't take more than a few seconds, so I'll apologise in advance to our Antipodean contributors, who will wake up only after it is all done & dusted.

Peter
Ian Woodason

Peter, I'll go for Smith Dorrien and Ian Hamilton for the first two, and leave the other two a while...... Ian
Peter Ewart

Woody

Right, we've made a start. One of your answers is correct, being one of the four names I want. But which one? (Sorry, can't make it that easy!)

Keep going ...

P.

P.S. Once JY has locked up every GP in the metropolis, I'm sure you'll have some competition.
Ron Sheeley

Hi, Peter, Along with Smith-Dorrien, how about William Penn-Symons of the 24th who was lucky enough to be away from the massacre at Isandlwana being with Chelmsford, and he, as a general, was later killed in the 2nd Boer War at Talana. Also Redvers Buller comes to mind being at the Hlobane debacle and later, as a general, didn't do so well in the 2nd Boer War. Ron Sheeley
Peter Ewart

Hi Ron

Good to hear from you! Well, that's two going for Horace Lockwood Smith-Dorrien, so it looks as if we're firming up on him. Excellent. Neither Penn Symons nor Buller will do, but you have noticed that I began with "different mountains."

I smell progress ... the rest of you over the pond have all day yet, but I suspect the 'Boks are now sleeping on it - we, too, soon. But is that the Kiwis and Aussies I hear stirring already?

Peter
Dawn

"Different mountains" - one wonders if you're refering to Khambula as the other mountain? I can't offer names but was just wondering....

Dawn
Peter Ewart

Dawn

Thanks for your input. I'm not sure, however, that Khambula would be described as a mountain - more a collection of grassy mounds and hollows? It could be argued, of course, that nor is Isandlwana strictly a mountain, but it is certainly a recognisable crag and often referred to as a mountain.

Nevertheless, you and Ron do seem to be homing in fast on the elder and hardly need more than a nudge.

Peter
mike snook 2

Smith-Dorrien, Wood and Woodgate, Black.

How's that - he said speculatively Question Shocked
Peter Ewart

Mike

You have completed the pair of future generals, the elder being Wood. So we're half way there.

I'm tempted to provide a little clue to help things along, but suddenly I notice JY off duty and joining the fray, so perhaps not yet ...

P.
mike snook 2

Prince Imperial for a third?
Peter Ewart

Mike

No, not he. Am I to take it that the words I have used to describe the defeat in my first sentence have gone entirely unrecognised by such a peerless group of Victorian military afficionados? Surely not!

P.
John Young

'Well versed' - 'dishing up in style' sounds like Rudyard Kipling to me.

Now back to the theatre of operations! Or should that be the operation theatre?

By the way if anyone attempted to e-mail me over the last month, my computer crashed during my Grecian sojourn, but I was able to make some comments on the site via my mobile.

John Y.
Peter Ewart

Well done, John. That's three out of the four, although the speculation I posed on any relationship has to be established yet, but I'm sure that will follow quickly from someone.

Get those handcuffs into action & then back here for the fourth man.

P.
Peter Ewart

Lost all internet connection since yesterday afternoon but on re-connection I see that it would appear my clues are rather oblique for some - or should I say fuzzy?

Establish why I enquired about a potential connection/relationship between Smith-Dorrien and Kipling and the identity of the "fourth man" (sounds like the Cambridge spy ring!) will simply fall into your laps, although there are sufficient clues already to enable him to emerge without further assistance. And if that did happen, he and the elder general will, between them, immediately solve the "link" between S-D and RK anyway!

P.
Peter Ewart

Well, I certainly didn't expect this one to last two hours, let alone more than two days! Can't have you falling asleep over it, so I'll release another clue - and this one will clinch it very quickly for you all.

Right - here we go:

Among other things, the fourth man is a contributor to this forum.

If that doesn't bring a name in pretty quickly, I don't know what will. Everything will then - I hope! - fall into place, although I'll provide chapter & verse once the the fourth name comes in. There are around nine clues (many inter-linked and therefore worth "double") in the three short sentences already, plus the odd hints since Tuesday.

Pete

P.S. I'm going to bed around 11 or so!
QUICK QUIZ