rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rich

Coll:

Re: Custer.....did you ever see "Son of the Morning Star"?.....another Custer movie...
Keith Smith

Rich

Read the book - awful!

KIS
Rich

Keith:

Yes, I've read that some thought it was a meandering read, going all over the place and perhaps making readers confused.

Personally, I liked the movie since it was a bit different from the early movie portrayals of the Custer tragedy. I thought the producers tried to take a look at both the US government and Native American sides in the conflict thus highlighting the areas of conflict from different points of view.
Also, we get a glimpse of the personality conflicts in Custer's command and how it could've contributed to the disaster at the Little Big Horn.
Maybe the film, if you haven't seen it, would be better than the book for you.
Keith Smith

Rich

My own view of the book was that it was almost incoherent - but I have not seen the movie so I can't comment.

My principal interest in the Little Bighorn is, apart from its parallels with Isandlwana, the way the native Americans were treated in the 19th century by the US government. I first became aware of the serious nature of this on a visit a few years ago to South Dakota and, specifically, the Black Hills. (What a beautiful place!) While there I picked up a little booklet called Black Hills Notebook by a local newspaperman in Rapid City named Bob Lee.

Before you, or anyone else jumps in and accuses me of hypocrisy for our Aussie treatment of aborigines here at the same time, or ealier, I must tell you that I'm pretty ashamed of that too. Let's hope that these things can be put behind us by showing some humanity to these folks today.

KIS
Rich

Keith:

You know I wish we can could in an ideal world put back all that buffalo that roamed the range out there in the Plains together with those who once inhabited it. Alot of bad things happened there because of greed, venality and absolute wide-eyed hatred. Isn't it ironic that to some Custer is a hero yet he was responsible for the slaughter of many Native Americans and their families? What happened out there in the Plains was brutal. Unfortunately, it will be part of America's historical memory just as the aborigines with Australia. It's both our trial. From what I can see and I can't speak for Australia, is that historians and writers are taking a good hard look at what was done to the Native Americans in this country and delineating the reality and truth of what was done at the time. If you can try to see the film. It goes beyond myths of an old West.
Bill Cainan1

Rich

I fully agree that the made-for-tv film of "Son of the Morning Star" is vastly superior to the book. A lot of the "meandering" has been skilfully straightened out !

Possibly the best recent book on the LBH is Robert J Kershaw's masterly "Red Sabbath" which was published two years ago. His analysis of the factors that led to Custer's defeat are well argued and quite compelling. And of course, Kershaw, coming from a fairly recent miltary background, has applied modern military analysis techniques to the events that occurred in 1876.

Bill

Bill..You know I haven't seen SOTMS for awhile. I think I'm going to pop the tape in over the weekend.
Just an fyi...new book just came out here: "The Day the World Ended at Little Bighorn" by Joseph M. Marshall III. Story is focused on the Lakota point of view. Should be interesting. Author is part Lakota and grew up hearing stories from his Lakota relatives passed down through the generations. I'll be picking it up.

Keith... sorry I'd send SOTMS it to you but I don't think the tapes would play on your machine. That's technology for you. (btw maybe you can suggest to the dvd fellows over there who made "The Lighthorsemen" to make a dvd for our region here!) Just can't get that film. Like I said I never saw an Aussie film I didn't like!
Coll

Rich

Yes I saw 'Son of the Morning Star'. Very good for a mini-series. Got the book of the same name, unread at present.

I'm trying to read all my AZW collection, before studying Custer and LBH.

Halfway through my books so far, taking a break though, by reading a couple of screenwriting books (there's optimism for you Wink )

Keen to obtain 'Little Bighorn and Isandlwana: Kindred Fights, Kindred Follies'. by Paul Williams. Also, 'The Dust Rose Like Smoke.' by James Oliver Gump.

Coll
The Scorer

I guess that a similar book is "The Court Martial of Lord Lucan" by John Harris.

It's a fictional account, in which he's put on trial for the Charge of the Light Brigade. I can't remember whether he was found guilty or not guilty and, if the former, what sentence was given ... does anyone know?

There were also calls for Lord Cardigan to be court martialled for his part in the Charge, but again I don't know exactly what happened there.

Very Happy
Keith Smith

Scorer

If you haven't done so, you must read The Reason Why by Cecil Woodham-Smith. It's old but it's still a great read and will spell out the problems between those two lords in detail. No wonder the Crimean War was a farce. if it hadn't been for the good old Tommy, we would have been in all sorts of strife.

KIS
margaret mcfarlane

Dear Keith,
Quite agree with you about 'The Reason Why', it's a great book. You may be interested to know that the garbled, badly-written instruction has been used in schools to illustrate the need for clarity in both meaning and handwriting.
If you enjoyed 'The Reason Why' may I suggest 'The Great Hunger' by the same author if you haven't already read it? It deals with the potato famine and brings tears to the eyes.
Best Wishes,
Margaret McFarlane
The Scorer

Yes, I think I've read "The Reason Why", but many years ago .... I must try to track it down and have another look - thanks!

Very Happy
The Court Martial Of George Armstrong Custer 1977 Film ?