rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Alan
Site Admin

That really is sad news. I think we all felt as though we knew Joe personally.
Our condolences go out to his family, I'm sure the loss will be painful to them.

Joe had 634 posts since he joined us in September 2005. His main post,
'The Telling of the Zulu War with Toy Soldiers' had 174,029 views,
which I think is a record.

Rest in Peace Joe.

Very sad indeed. Although I have little or no knowledge of toy soldiers I found the Lt's passion for his hobby, and his skill in sharing it, fascinating. RIP.
Playmozulu

I'm shocked

My deepest condolence for the family and friends.
Sad

It was my inspiration and modality in how doing a diorama on the battle rorkesdrift.
Damian

He was a wonderful gentleman who had an infectious enthusiasm for all things AZW and for toy soldiers.
I interacted with him on a number of toy soldier forums.
I never met him but feel as if I have lost a true friend.
Dewi Evans

Very sad news indeed.

My deepest condolence to his family.

R.I.P The Lt.

In my unofficial capacity as New England Representative Without Portfolio To Rorke's Drift VC.com I felt as though I ought to post a link to The Lt's obit: http://www.eagletribune.com/obituaries/x1186899444/Joseph-D-Quintini-75 Hamba Kahle, Joe.
Alan
Site Admin

It's strange finding out information about a person, once they're dead. Pity we didn't know Joe before. Thanks for that Sawubona. I'm making you the official New England rep.

I tried to add a tribute in the obituary, but technology beat me.

This is very bad news, and my sympathy is extended to his family.

I think that I said a while ago on here that I was so impressed by Joe's work, as it was obviously a "labour of love" ... his contribution will be missed.

Sad
Alan
Site Admin

I did send an email to his address expressing our sympathy. I hope that it is picked up.

True words about not knowing a fellow better, Alan. Who would have thought that "The Lt" taught dancing and was a country music fan? And I NEVER pictured him as a lanky Italian with a cool hat. You might have better luck leaving some thoughts at: http://www.cataudellafh.com/obituaries/Joseph-Quintini/#!/TributeWall

If you get an odd script message, just click on "stop script" and it should be okay to continue.

If a better wordsmith than I would like to compose something suitable on behalf of those of us here who have enjoyed his contributions to this site in the past and will miss his enthusiastic postings, you can put my name (for one) on it and paste it right up there. I know from experience that Peter E is remarkably good with such sympathetic words (aw, shucks), but I'm sure some of the rest of us have talent as well. Any takers?
Alan
Site Admin

I think you're right. I nominate Peter E, after all, he'll have plenty of time soon,
and it will take his mind off the cricket.

In politely declining to compose the contribution myself, it is only because I honestly believe Saw's effort would be better. His modesty alone, I'm sure, prompted him to suggest that someone else might want to try. It's very true there is plenty of talent here, and most of it would have a much better and closer understanding than I did of Joe's skill and what it meant to the forum, simply because most of you are much closer to the toy soldier scene than I am. I don't think we'll find a better wordsmith than you, Saw, and whatever you write will have the heartfelt endorsement of the forum members.

Hoping the bags under my eyes will soon go, Alan. I'd mind them a lot less if I felt they'd been worthwhile! Decided at 3.30 this morning that sleep was the much more sensible option and, as I have a long drive tomorrow, won't be watching tonight. Thereafter we'll all be out of our misery. Needless to say, sudden news like Joe's passing helps put things properly into perspective anyway.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

How about it Saw?

The captain out on the second ball of the match! Sleep would be better Peter.

Sawubona serves the ball! It not only clears the net by fractions of an inch, but it's well into Peter E's corner, and it's moving fast. Ladies and Gentlemen, the match is over ! But wait! Peter E has not only has gotten his racquet on the ball and returned it, but he's done so with such incredible backspin and such unbelievable lack of self-aggrandizing that Sawubona doesn't seem to stand a chance of a rally. And look! What's that? Sawubona has not only dropped his racquet, but he seems to be conceding defeat. And now Peter is jumping over the net and is shaking hands. It's all over for Saw and he'll give it a try.

Last edited by Sawubona on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan
Site Admin

See. Peter was right, you do have a way with words. Good lad.