rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Music
rfh12002

Hi there
I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere were I can get my hands on the Zulu music from the film. I'm particularly looking for the one sung when the actors on the Brit side start singing 'Men of Harlech'.

I'd also love if any expert out there could verify it as a fairly true zulu song / dance or if it is a Hollywood special!

I'm a teacher and would love to use the power of that track at some point.,

Many thanks
Sheldon Hall

The indigenous music from the film has never been made available for purchase in any form, more's the pity. The songs and chants in the film are authentically Zulu, but not necessarily from the right period for the battle. See pp. 211-212 of my book ZULU: WITH SOME GUTS BEHIND IT for more detailed discusion and translations of some of the songs (though not, alas, of the 'dawn chorus' chant).

Sheldon
rfh12002

Thanks Sheldon
My school have just 'tinned' with a school with a mainly indigenous Zulu background and it would have been nice to do something with the music. The stuff in the film is great (not that I'd have started the link by going down the Zulu War route) but Men of Harlech kind of ruins it!
I will certainly check out that section in your book.
Many thanks
Alan
Site Admin

rfh12002

Is the DVD link from the Zulu film section the one you're looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000IIS2/o/qid%3D988010996/sr%3D8-10/ref%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fpm%5F4%5F2/102-8015702-9480963

Alan
Sheldon Hall

The Silva Screen DVD is a recent re-recording of John Barry's score and contains no indigenous Zulu music. I don't much like the arrangements in this recording, which seem to me to get the tempo all wrong, and I groaned aloud when I heard the rendition of 'Men of Harlech', which reeks of the concert hall and has no dramatic authenticity whatsoever. But others might like it...

Sheldon
Mike McCabe

It could be deemed a bit tactless, and counterproductive to your longer term purposes, to acquaint your students with Zulu music by using anything linked to the film Zulu - though quite a lot of the ethnic music probably comes from time 'immemorial' (a UK phrase, actually meaning before 1066), the early 20thC, or even later. Hard to tell, it being unlikely that origins can be traced to a specific date.

Opinions will differ, but you could more easily access Zulu music recorded by http://www.mambazo.com/, including their fairly gentle unaccompanied Zulu version of Nkosi Sikilel iAfrica - originally a hymn and hymn tune and now part of the multilingual National Anthem. These are not always traditional to the KZN heatland, and many first became popular with Zulu migrant labour elsewhere, or are fairly recently composed.

There are also some fairly modern Zulu CD recordings that include small booklets with the words in Zulu and in English translation, but you will only find these fairly fortuitously if you rake through the stocks of a large outlet like the one in Piccadilly Circus, and they just happen to be in stock.

Good luck, but 'Zulu' is a poor start point for educational work, I believe.

MC McC
Dawn

I'd agree, 'Zulu' would be a poor introduction to the rhythms of African music. Ladysmith Black Mambazo would be a good start, as you suggested, Mike. Also look at modern renditions of Zulu rhythm with Johnny Clegg and Savuka: http://www.johnnyclegg.com/ There's even a song about Isandlwana called 'Impi'.
Also check out Mango Groove: http://www.rock.co.za/files/mango_groove_index.html for 'kwela' music. This is music using the pennywhistle with African rhythms which was popular in the mining camps and is quite unique.

A Zulu choir in full throat is an absolute wonder and can send shivers down the spine! Best experienced live. Smile

Dawn
ralph dyer

i am new to this site which is a great site, i am a huge fan of the film and own many items from it , also original items and personal items from Stanley. in reply to rfh12002 who asked for info on the zulu soundtrack . it is available on cd look for john barry cd ref filmxcd305 bar code 5014929030524 it does feature men of harlech also, and some other goodies like dances with wolves. good luck its a good buy. ralph.
rfh12002

Hi there
Yeah I agree with the sentiments that a look at Zulu would not be the best place politically to start with anything like this - my intention was simply to have it as one piece of many which could be used. I wasn't about to start a twinning project with 'Hey heres some music and youll never guess the story behind it...' approach but I do think that the power of it was special enough to use - if not the story.
Thanks all for all the comments and suggestions
Barry Iacoppi N.Z

Hi Ralph. I am curious. What kind of items have you got from the film Zulu?

Barry
ralph dyer

hi barry,
well i think the most important thing is the actual helmet plate and collar dogs worn by Michael as Bromhead, but lots of pics and a lot of personel items given 2 me by lady Baker. i have also a letter from a lt hutchinson with ref 2 a VC. in natal dated june 1879. i am at present building a website on the film and expect 2 finish it in a few days. you are welcome to take a look, i will let you know when its done. this is a great site and i hope to get 2 know you all soon.
ralph.
Barry Iacoppi N.Z

Thanks Ralph. I look forward to that.

Barry
ralph dyer

OK barry, well maybe a few more days required yet I'm extending the site to include most of what i have, other films etc. and adding the essential zulu soundtrack, hope its a good site for all to enjoy.
ralph.
ralph dyer

hi everyone, my website is now open. we will add to it as time goes on,
i am hoping you all enjoy what i have to share and comments are most welcome from you all. i feel that i will make mistakes and experience has shown that i will be picked up on any straight away.
but i must say that experience also has shown me that we all love the film and the history and, that we all keep it alive.
best regards,
ralph.
www.mijndijn.nl
Music