rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Strategic Boardgame Anglo-Zulu War
Gerit Driessen

Hello everyone:

I am designing my own boardgame on the Anglo-Zulu War. It will be strategic rather than tactical. The Zulu player will have a possibility to cross the Tugela into Natal and home politics will be involved.

For this I especially need colour pictures of soldiers. I was thinking of the NNC in their khaki uniform (on foot), the redcoats (on foot) and an officer on horsback, in his blue uniform. The Zulus will need an warrior, and and a warrior with redcoat and rifle.
Further an historic map is needed. As it is going to be an area based game I need to name a lot of areas, so...

I searched the internet extensively and I read Adrian Greaves' great book Crossing the Buffalo, but there is still a lot I do not know. I trust that you are able to help me out! Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Gerit Driessen on Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll

Gerit

You will get a good idea of uniforms, etc., with the titles by Osprey Publishing. They have several well-illustrated books.

Coll
Gerit Driessen

Thanks Coll!
Do you have any titles in mind?
Coll

Gerit

Go to the Osprey Publishing website and type Zulu War into the Search facility and you can then decide from there.

The titles cover the British Forces, Colonial and Irregulars, Zulus, as well as the AZW campaign and battles.

I only have 2 of the titles, but others may recommend specific ones for what you are seeking.

Coll
John Young

Gerit,

I can assist with details of the uniforms, and also provide contemporary images and maps. That said, we've been down this road before on the forum, and in the past I have wasted a great deal of time & effort and the projects have failed to come to fruition.

By-the-way the N.N.C. didn't wear khaki, to my knowledge.

John Y.
Coll

Gerit

Regarding the khaki uniforms for the N.N.C., are you perhaps referring to those worn by the N.N.C. men in the film 'Zulu' ?

Or possibly by the N.N.H. men in 'Zulu Dawn' ?

Coll
Gerit Driessen

John: I am sorry to hear you feel you have wasted your time on projects in the past. Being involved in the history of the AZW should be a pleasant experience where one can learn and spend his time in a meaningful way. I am totally dedicated to and enthusiastic about my game, yes I even try to establish contact with people who know a lot more about the subject than I. It is my perfectionism. I have no idea where my project will be leading to other than a great game that I can play, and I have no idea what I can do to make your cooperation worthwhile for you, but just let me know.

John and Coll: I must have mixed up the NNC and NNH. Yes I had the picture from Zulu Dawn of Durnford's men in my mind but I mean the NNC that made up such a large part of the invasion force. Not the stronger part I believe. Was this the case with the second invasion too?
Coll

Gerit

The N.N.C. men had a 'uniform' only consisting of a red headband, with the rest of their costume not much different to the Zulus. As for weapons, they too had shields and spears, with every 1 in 10 issued with a firearm.

Coll
Gerit Driessen

Did the NNC make up such a large part of the British force with the second invasion?
Coll

Gerit

I've purchased recently a book called - 'Black Soldiers of the Queen : The Natal Native Contingent in the Anglo-Zulu War.' by P.S. Thompson.

Although I have not yet read it , it has been highly recommended.

This title may give you all the information you require about the native units in the British forces.

No photos, but a few maps are included.

Coll
Gerit Driessen

Thank you Coll. It is always good to know good books; I have not the possibility to go to the bookstore and take a look at the different books, as the availability of them in the Netherlands is zero.
Coll

Gerit

There are many books recommended on the site which may assist you further with your game.

However, if you list the specific information that you are seeking, others may give you details of the titles which cover these subjects.

Coll
Gerit Driessen

The things that I would be needing are colour pictures and a historical map with named areas and cities, involving both Natal as Zululand. Perhaps anyone can mail me these??
Coll

Gerit

If you are really stuck for uniforms images, try the following -

http://www.alphaimagemodelworkshop.com/Index.htm

It has colour thumbnail images of the following figures -

Colonel A.W. Durnford, R.E.
Officer, 24th, Blue Patrol Jacket.
Private, 24th,
Zulu warrior.
Zulu Warrior wearing soldier's red tunic.

Click on these for enlargements.

May not be what you're looking for. May not be accurate.

Previously on another topic, I'm sure someone mentioned maps being in the title ' The South African Campaign 1879' by MacKinnon & Shadbolt, but can't be sure.

Coll
John Young

Coll,

Forgive me for saying so, but that site you referred Gerit to isn't that good I'm afraid.

Take a careful look at the Durnford figure, for example, what on Earth is a Royal Engineer officer doing wearing a Rifles pattern patrol jacket!

When my scanner is back in play I'll do something to assist Gerit, but at present it is out of commission, so I can't assist.

John Y.
Strategic Boardgame Anglo-Zulu War