rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rhodesian Ridgeback 2007 Calendar
Coll

A family member recalled the fact that this may have been the breed Durnford's dog 'Prince' was, so bought me the calendar.

I don't know if you can 'match' a type of dog to a person, as the kind they would have had as a pet, but I can't help but feel this was the breed of dog Durnford would have had, as a British officer's faithful pet.

Somehow it just looks right.

Coll
AMB

Coll,

As the term 'Rhodesian' was not used until the 1890s, what were these dogs called when Durnford had one in the 1870s?

AMB
Coll

AMB

That's a good question. As far as I know, from reading details on the internet, until it became a 'recognised' breed, it had no specific name.

Apparently, European settlers in the 16th/17th Century first discovered ridgeback type dogs among the Hottentot tribes, which were well adapted to the African climate. Seeking to 'create' the 'perfect' hunting dog, selective breeding between these dogs and the various breeds brought to Africa by the settlers, gradually evolved into what has become the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Beforehand, they appear to have been called lionhounds.

There is much information on the internet about this breed, fascinating reading, describing how well they were suited to the African environment and were extremely good hunting dogs.

So, I guess, a Rhodesian Ridgeback like 'Prince', much like his owner, both liked to hunt for things much bigger than themselves. 'Prince' - lions Surprised Durnford - a Zulu army ! Shocked

Definitely the kind of dog he would have Smile

Coll
Steven Sass

Hi,

About two years ago I lost my beloved Rhodesian Ridgeback 'Maxie' to illness. Whilst it should not be too long before I take another of this loyal, loving and noble breed into our household, at present I'm one family vote short--but lobbying!

Anyway, for anyone interested I can speak/write for hours on the virtues of Rhodesian Ridgebacks but for the present I'll attempt to give some info pertinent to the discussion.

Ridgebacks before 1922 were referred to as African Lion Dogs or simply Lion Dogs. Their origins can actually be traced to South Africa. It is thought the Ridgeback is ultimately the result of careful and not so careful breeding between traditional European breeds such as Mastiffs, Bulldogs, Blood Hounds, Deer Hounds, Boar Hounds and the native Hottentot Hunting Dog.

In 1875 the Rev. Charles Helm brought a pair of early lion dogs up to what would eventually be Rhodesia where their progeny were used and gained fame as hunting dogs for the famous Cornelius von Rooyen.

The characteristic ridge and whorl found on the backs of the dogs are actually rows of hair that point in the opposite direction of the main coat. It is almost certain the ridge is a result of the Hottentot Dog's influence. As I said the dogs are extremely loyal, intelligent and are excellent problem solvers. Unfortuantely this means they usually require much attention and training and are considered immature until about the age of two. Their ability to act independently in the field also means they are great problem solvers, able to get into most cupboards, closets and other places thought secure. Therefore they are recommended for experienced owners who have the time to devote to their care.

I have tried without much success to gain information on whether the Ridgeback had a role with British or Colonial forces in SA.

Hope that helps without being overindulgent.

Cheers,

Steven

Last edited by Steven Sass on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dawn

Coll

Nice to see you back. I knew you couldn't stay away. I've left you a private message. Smile

Dawn
Coll

Steven

Thanks for the details.

I hadn't considered the idea of these high-quality hunting dogs being used in a specific role with the British/Colonial forces. Interesting.

Dawn

I'm afraid it is a short visit, as the causes of my absence from the forum are still ongoing.

I didn't think I'd be missed, with my postings almost always about a certain individual. (Okay - Durnford Wink)

Coll

PS. Regarding your message - I think you should see about including it on the site Very Happy
Dawn

Coll

I have already emailed Alan and he is receptive to posting it on the site. I will get it to him soon and he said he will inform you when it is available to view. I hope you will still be around to read it.

We will put a disclaimer on it that it is a work of fiction so if anyone wants to take me to task, I will hide behind that! It is not perfect, however, I am sure you will enjoy it, featuring as it does, your favourite AZW personality.

And you were dearly missed, I assure you. Some of us were very concerned and I'd like you to know that you have friends here on the forum, even if you have never met us.

As for the ridgebacks, the best dogs in the world, in my opinion!

Dawn
Sean Sweeney

Coll,

I don't know the history of Durnford's dog,
or where or when it might have owned him, (as they do !).

The SAMHS 6, 5 has this to say;

"When he returned to Cape Town he had his quarters (five rooms and a kitchen) in the Castle. To complete his domestic establishment he also acquired a dog, 'a magnificent animal of the "kangaroo hound breed"' which he named 'Prince' and which became his constant companion."

The Australian Kangaroo hound, 'a swift, greyhound-like runner with powerful jaws', referred to was a mixed breed, similar to the African mixed breed Boerboel/Ridgeback.

The Ridgeback, and the larger (and possibly more common in rural farmsteads) Boerboel, were both partly descended from the 'Hottentot' and 'African' domestic dogs, the 'Africanis', which dates back to the Pharoahs pariah dogs, and man's original best friend before that.

The Africanis is the dog of Zululand, the homesteads, and the townships.
Not a very big dog, (and never overfed !!!)

These were thought to have been introduced to the Khoisan by the Bantu migrating South, at some stage before European colonisation.

A ridge of hair is sometimes seen on the back - one of the Africanis's genetic contributions to the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Maybe the Colonel's dog was a descendant of man's first friend, (before we discovered women),
and his best friend before he met Frances.

Fitting, as a dog of the African, the Hlubi and the Basuto, given his respect for the African.

I'm sure that the Ridgeback would be reasonably representative of his 'Prince'.

cheers,
Sean
Coll

Dawn

Great. I'll look forward to reading it Wink

Sean

Thanks for the detailed reply. With the Rhodesian Ridgeback calendar nearby in the same room as my computer, which now has a Col. Durnford portrait as a desktop background, it now appears my AZW interest is beginning to take over another room in the house ! Very Happy

Coll
Dawn

Coll

Alan has put it on the website now under 'pot pourri'. He said he would let you know so you may have already seen it. I hope I did Durnford justice Smile

Dawn
Coll

Dawn

You were right - I enjoyed reading it very much. Although written as a short story, which indeed sets word number limitations, I think you covered Durnford's character very well.

Thankyou Very Happy

Coll
Dawn

Coll

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, word limits are constricting. The limit for this particular competition was 5000 words and the first draft was well over that. There are some deliberate mistakes in there (as well as some not-so-deliberate) but its an study on the character rather than an explantion of the battle. I hope others enjoy it too. A little distraction from the sadness of late. Confused

Dawn
Michael Boyle

Hi Coll,

I can't find any reference to what the breed of Durnford's dog may have been called (Lion Dogs and African Lion Dogs seem contemporaneous with Rhodesian Ridgeback), I'm guessing they were reffered to simply as hunting dogs and seem to have been bred through a mixture of the "Hottentots" Khoikhoi with Mastiffs, Great Danes, Salukis, Bloodhounds and other European breeds over the centuries. Interestingly the actual breed of Rhodesian Ridgeback traces it's roots to 1879 so Durnford's dog may not have been too far off the modern mark, see -

http://www.murenga.com/irr.htm

According to - http://rrcus.org/assets/html/breedinfo/history.htm the breed was also affected by the lack of new European dog blood between about 1707 and 1807 due to European immigration being closed. The latter claim coming as a complete surprise to me I guess it's time to re-read SA history more thoroughly.

If you're interested in adding a Ridgeback to your family see -

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rhodesianridgeback.htm

for a photo of a fawn specimen which clearly demonstrates the bloodline posited above. (If only motels here accepted large pets I'd be tempted and I think 'Anthony' would make for a great name!)

Best

Michael
Coll

Hello Michael

It is a magnificent-looking breed, isn't it ?

On another aspect of Durnford, I'm thinking he may very well have been a chess player. I can imagine his strategy - Attack is the best Defence ! Wink

How good a player he was, however, we'd just have to guess.

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

Do you think he might have fallen for Fool's Mate? Very Happy

I'm really glad you're back old chum.

Regards As ever

Mike
Rhodesian Ridgeback 2007 Calendar