rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandlwana Battlefield - New Website & Photographic Tour
Jamie

Hi Guys,

Got my new web site up and running. Better than the last one. Loads of new photo's.

On the index column to the left you are able to go straight to the Isandlwana battlefield photo's if you need.

The photo's have high image quality so best viewed in Broadband - just allow time for the pages to download their photograph's. The site was designed basically to give the enthusiasts of Isandlwana, whom have not or not able to visit the battlefields in South Africa, a chance to see the terrain that they read about in the books that are published on the subject.

www.isandlwana1879.co.uk

Hope you enjoy it!

Jamie
mike snook 2

Jamie

What a marvellous effort, and what a great public service you have done for people who will never be fortunate enough to visit these great battlefields in person. I had a pleasant hour looking around the site this afternoon. It is extremely professionally presented. I think you can take great pride in it.

As ever

Mike

ps. And thank you for the mention in despatches!
Dewi Evans

Hi Jamie,

Excellent site, congratulations on a very professional job well done. No doubt I will be a very frequent visitor to your site.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Dewi. Very Happy
Neil Aspinshaw

Jamie

what a tremendous effort, It reminded me of the shale crunching under my feet as I peer into the wind and rain, ah well only another 9 weeks to go 'till trip 4.

You probably get the same grief of her in doors as I do!

Neil

Jamie

That is a superb site - well done. I admire your tenacity in choosing the best photographic viewpoints which I know cannot have been easy.

Peter
Diana Blackwell

Dear Jamie,
Looks like a great site...except I can't see any photos! All the pix appear as empty boxes with tiny symbols in the upper left corners. Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions on how I might access the photographs?
Diana
diagralex

Diana

I also have the same problem.
Mind you I have dial up and not broadband. Has the site been set up specifically for broad band ?

Graham
Jamie

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the kind comments. It took a while to build but it was worth it in the end. Having taken all these photo's I had to put them somewhere!

The photo's have high quality imaging on them, hence the time it would take to come up on screen per page.

The site is better viewed in Broadband but I understand that dial up will eventually bring the photo's up. It would just take time. I suppose the picture quality is a lesson learned but on the other hand lower quality pic's wouldn't show the detail so well.

Thanks again,

Jamie
Mikey29211

Jamie,
Thanks, for some reason, it takes a bit longer to download a page (and i have DSL) but the photos are great and informative..

Regards

Mike
Peter Ewart

Very nice collection of superb snapshots, Jamie. And so comprehensive with all the different views and angles. Can feel the warmth of the sun on the back of my neck as I look at them! Apart from all your pictures of the Isandlwana and Mangeni sites, I particularly liked the distant shot of Isandlwana from the RD-FD road and also the view of Melvill's & Coghill's grave set into the hillside and taken from some distance away.

Interested in what seems to be a bright green, largish all-weather/astro sports pitch, probably football, between the NE perimeter of Isandlwana and Isandlwana village itself, which appears to have materialised in the last year or so (but is presumably not the pitch which Sally of Isandlwana Lodge mentioned on the old forum about 3 or 4 years ago as about to be laid somewhere in the vicinity, as I gather that that one was very soon unusable). The one in your photos certainly wasn't there six years ago. Given the acute needs of the present local population, I suppose it would be churlish of me to suggest that the views of the battlefield between Tahelane and the spur are less than enhanced by its appearance - but I hope the locals are enjoying themselves on it nevertheless!

Did you not take any snaps of St Vincent's?

Peter
Jamie

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the comments. The astroturf pitch was there 2 years ago when I first visited. On my 2nd trip the pitch has a series of big 'waves' running through it so not much 11 a side football on there I fear!. On my 2nd trip, I did notice the steady growth of the village compared to the first time I visited.

I liked the shot of Rorke's Drift at dusk on the very last page. Seems appropriate.

One shot that stands out for me was on top of Isandlwana summit towards Tahelane and Magaga Knoll. Sums up the Northern end of the battlefield.

Regards,

Jamie
Dewi Evans

There was a documentary on BBC 2W, approximatly two years ago, about a charity project to lift an astroturf pitch from Swansea University and transport it to Isandlwana School. I think the project was headed by a young lady called Anna Lane, and she was able to persuade the RE to help.
They encounterd many problems, I recall, with the machinery and the local labour etc!
I wonder if this is the same astroturf refered to in the previous posts Exclamation

Regards,

Dewi.
Julian whybra

Very good photos Jamie. There are a couple of spelling errors - it would be too pedfantic to list them here (if you want to correct them let me know) and Anstey reached the Manzimnyama with about 40 men not 60.
Peter Ewart

Dewi

Only just seen your post. I think that makes two astro attempts which haven't gone well, as I understand that the first pitch was not a success.

Peter
Julian whybra

I've also noticed that you have written that Erskine's coy was posted to replace Barry's coy. There is no evidence that this happened. Mike Snook made the suggestion that this may have happened but it may not have.
Isandlwana Battlefield - New Website & Photographic Tour