rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Michael Boyle

Mikey, from the comments there one would think they were now made of lead! Don't actually know though. I do find it interesting that many current military and university marching bands here sometimes use them in spite of the 'Keystone Cops' heritage. I've always thought that they were cool, probably because of my Great-Grandfather's and Great-Uncle's photos. Most here in the US don't realize that they were once part of the uniform for our military as well.

Best

Michael
John Lundy

I think the "Bobby" helmets are great. I have one and it is definitely heavier than the foreign service helmet, but I have not taken it apart to see what it is actually made of. When I was on the street our dress cover was a smokey the bear hat which was pretty classy. Most of the folks out here in the west don't even wear a hat on duty anymore, or you will see them in ball caps. Even the Washington State Patrol, who could get days off without pay for being caught without their smokey the bear hat, are sometimes seen in ball caps. Another sign that civilization is in decline!

John
repro pith helm
snider volley

mikey 29211
i would love to have a repro's as one of yours(gorgous) ? can you pass on info as to where i could get one . i have been told by others to go to this place or that and both times have ended me up with a cheesy vietnamese copy plegh!! (bad taste)
i say say
Re: repro pith helm
Mikey29211

snider volley wrote:
mikey 29211
I would love to have a repro's as one of yours(gorgous) ? can you pass on info as to where I could get one . I have been told by others to go to this place or that and both times have ended me up with a cheesy vietnamese copy plegh!! (bad taste)
I say say

Thanks for the question SV, click on the link and look at the bottom of the page. They are quite expensive but they are the best repro helmets on the market.

http://www.britishmilitaria.com/1_headdress.html
jjwdrake

Hello, new member here

I collect Victorian military stuff - and have a had a number of piths over the last few years - I still have 3 of them, but suspect one of them may be a rather good fake (complete with an original period sweatband and silk liner!). Much as I have tried, there seems to be very little to go on to actually date them, once you have established they are pre-1903. There seems to be so much variation between makers for a start, and there's little consistency in the visual references. Does anyone have any reliable info in changes to shape of FS helmets between 1878 and 1900?
Mikey29211

Can you post some photos?
jjwdrake

Mikey29211 wrote:
Can you post some photos?

Yes - will take me a while to get around to it as I don't photograph my collection as a habit. I have them roughly dated in my own mind to: 1) early (1870's-80's) based on a number of things, including the shape, particularly a skiver (split lambskin) rather than cotton lining to front and rear peaks - and it has a name inside to someone in the KRRC, who I haven't traced yet - he's not in my 1881 army list; 2) mid-late (1885-1900), a Hawkes-made, doeskin example conforming very closely to the shape illustrated in 1900 army uniform regs, very good quality; and 3) probable fake - based on the vent cap being "wrong" and this being an ebay purchase where I saw some very fishy activity from the seller and someone in Canada resell an almost identical one, declaring it as a fake he'd been sold by the same seller I got mine from! If it is a fake, it's a very good one, carefully aged with some original parts.

I have, which may be useful to people at some point as reference:

a) an 1872 pattern lightweight scarlet officer's frock (classic Zulu War type), field rank cuffs, and unusually field rank lace loops to the collar (as you would see on the 1869 pattern tunic). Near mint. Buttons absent (now with post 1902 general service)

b) an 1868 pattern senior NCO's 5-button serge frock for Royal Engineers. Rather stained and beaten up (as you'd expect for OR service dress), but all there other than some of the buttons.

c) OR's overalls crica 1865

d) OR's haversack

e) Various early bits of Sam Brown equipment including "1880 pattern"

f) 1868 pattern warrant officer's blue patrol - as worn by Bob Hoskins in Zulu Dawn. Mint unissued condition

g) Pre-1881 artillery officer's blue patrol

Rest of my stuff is later (Boer War) or earlier
Mikey29211

Here are some photos of my expensive helmet collection ($250.00 to $300.00 each)

I'm not sure of the helmet on the left being an "Original" but i traced the patent number on the label to 1902

The helmet on the right is one of those cheap Vietnam copies with a RA Restrike plate.
Mikey29211

Two of my latest finds, actual Vietnam helmets in the correct pattern.
I plan on replacing the liner and chinstrap and replace the puggaree on
the khaki helmet and remove the puggaree on the white and replace it with a single 2 inch band.

tom

Hi Mikey,
Nice collection,but you need to remove the green backing to the 24th Shako badge as it's not correct.
Happy helmet hunting.
Tom
Mikey29211

tom wrote:
Hi Mikey,
Nice collection,but you need to remove the green backing to the 24th Shako badge as it's not correct.
Happy helmet hunting.
Tom

I'll do that, thanks.

Mike
Martin Everett

BUT to be really more correct - find a '24th' Helmet Plate not Shako Plate.

Mikey29211

Martin Everett wrote:
BUT to be really more correct - find a '24th' Helmet Plate not Shako Plate.

But i have seen a photograph of an OR from the 24th wearing his blue cloth helmet with the shako mounted.

Pte William Roy
Martin Everett

True - but incorrectly dressed. That's why 24th Helmet Plates are very rare.

Mikey29211

Martin Everett wrote:
True - but incorrectly dressed. That's why 24th Helmet Plates are very rare.

I can't even find a repro plate Mad
Zulu or boer war pith helmets