rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Casualties at Rorke's Drift - A Foggy subject?
GlennWade

Hi all

I would be interested to hear people's views on the Zulu casualties sustained at Rorke's Drift between 22nd-23rd Jan.

As many know, Chard stated a total of 351 dead. I personally find this an incredibly difficult figure to comprehend. Confused

What do you think?

Glenn

Glenn

As many know, Chard stated a total of 351 dead. I personally find this an incredibly difficult figure to comprehend.

Why?

Peter
GlennWade

Hi Peter

Why indeed, well I'll paste something I posted a few days ago on a remote page of a recent dicussion

You must take into account those who crawled away to die, any wounded or others who drowned in the crossing during the withdrawal due to exhaustion, many hundreds who were wounded later to die elsewhere and I expect the hundreds of dead taken away by friends or family for burial, as was done at Isandlwana.

I suppose that many Zulu killed in the afternoon or early-late evening would have been removed during the night when the defenders had limited vision around their position. The same goes for the casualties inflicted in the rocky terraces of the Shiyane and any such as those shot by Robson near the rough kraal.

Those men had ample time to remove their dead and I would not find a figure of nigh on 1000 fatalities hard to comprehend.

Cheers,

Glenn

Glenn,

No military force will take 25% fatalities and still be fighting, because it necessarily means at least a 50% and most commonly a 75% casualty rate overall. The ratio of wounded to killed might be as low as 1:1 in a close range fight like RD, but it is more typical, across all military history, for there to be 2 wounded to 1 dead.

351 dead for about 1,000 casualties in all is possible - but definitely not 1,000 fatalities. No way. That would mean either 2,000 or 3,000 casualties overall.

What percentage of the 600-700 wounded might subsequently have died of their wounds on the way home or of infection at their home kraal subsequently is another matter and can only be open to conjecture.

I would say that very few if any bodies would have been taken away in the night. Why? How? To what end? Most of the Zulus were exhausted and it would have been hard enough for them to get across the Buffalo as it was. The bloodied shields which for some reason some historians suggest were used to carry bodies down to the river (why?) are far more likely to have been used to carry wounded men, or may simply have been discarded on the river bank by uninjured men in order to make a better fist of getting a wounded mate over. Of course the walking wounded themselves had bloodied shields and probably took them as far as the river before abandoning them. 351 is an accurate body count. Allowing for some untallied bodies in outlying locations, (and we know from source evidence that they turned up from time to time), call it 380-400 dead tops.

But hey you know what I think already.

There is some utter nonsense being talked on the 'what really happened' thread. I have to say I find it quite distressing - but that's the idea - we are meant to. Such theories are nothing to do with history and everything to do with Brit-bashing. What really happened at Rorke's Drift is to be found in sources, in the words of the men who were there, which any military historian will tell you are most commonly highly understated and extremely modest. Few answers are to be found in the fanciful imaginations of cynics.

Regards

Mike
diagralex

Major H.G.Mainwaring 1/24th who was out with Chelmsford's column, confirmed in a later letter that upon the columns return to Rorke's Drift they carried out burial duties.
He stated that " We burried between 300-400 Zulus", which agrees quite closely with Chard's figure.

Graham
peterw

Glenn

Thanks for clarifying that. The survivors' accounts all quoted similar numbers and that these would have been the minimum number of casualties. As Mike says, the numbers of wounded who eventually died of their wouunds cannot be determined. At any rate, the number of fatalities would be up not down.

Peter
Peter Ewart

Glenn

But didn't Chard say they buried 351 Zulu bodies on the 23rd, not that they had killed 351 of the enemy? I'm not aware of the figure 351 ever having been stated as the total number of dead (but can't check at the moment). His figure therefore leaves open the calculation for the number of total dead, and always has.

It is true that many wounded would have managed to get away from the post and that some of them would have died later, but we have no idea at all how many. There is plenty of evidence of wounded Zulus recovering from horrific injuries during the AZW. And although it is also the case that bodies turned up in the general vicinity for some time afterwards, were there really "hundreds"? I'm not aware of any evidence - or even suggestion - that hundreds more died on top of Chard's 351 burial figure. Most estimates (by historians rather than eyewitnesses) tend these days to suggest 500/600 dead in all and Mike above reckons around 400 maximum, which sounds very likely to me.

With the other current thread in mind, I'd say there is plenty of contemporary evidence for an attacking force of c3500/4000, of which the majority were present at the fight for most or much of the time, and that they suffered fatal casualties of around 10% - plenty reason enough for the King to realise immediately that the combined losses in the three engagements of that day were a disaster for his army and also ultimately for his nation.

Peter
paul mercer

I'm sure we've covered this before, but from all accounts it appears that a huge number of cartridges were fired, not only at Rorke's Drift but in other engagements, all for a relativley small number of casualties, considering the amount of warriors involved.
Even allowing for the possibility of a number of shots hitting the same man, at close range some may well have continued on to hit the man behind so why was there not more killed? I cannot believe all our regiments in the Zulu wars were bad shots, particulary at ranges of up to 5-600yards (or less) which are normally regarded as the effective 'killing ground' of a MH, or that massed volley fire was continuously used at individual or small parties of Zulus.
As for those crawling away to die, some undoubtedly did, but I have always understood that the big MH round inflicted a very nasty wound from which few would walk away from.
Still, if the count was indeed only 351 it is difficult to argue otherwise so perhaps there were no really big attacks but lots of small ones. But what about the other battles where there were massed charges against the volley fire (including Gatling guns) from the prepared defences of our troops, again, given the number of warriors involved and the number of cartidges fired one would have expected to find more casualties
GlennWade

Thanks for your responses everyone. I'm doing some ongoing research so I will be studying my own and your points in depth. Smile

Cheers for now

Glenn

Paul
There are closely linked factors into performance, escpecially at close quarters of the Martini Henry, which must be appreciated. It has been covered before but in short.

At ranges of less than 100 yards, accurate sighting can only be carried out by sliding the sight leaf to the 400 yard high point on the sight bed, and peering across the close range sight depression on the pin bed and under the leaf, it is not a quick sighting. If the sight is not set the bullet will fly well over a mans head, even if you go for a chest shot. At 100 yards the trajectory is approx 250mm off horizontal, at 500 yards the bullet will fly aprox 8 feet off horizontal at its apogee.

A man running flat out will cover 50 yards at a run in about the time it will take to pick a cartridge, load aim and fire, in that time they are on you and its the lunger I'm afriad. Volleys are no good here, you need someone in the rank behind you to fire whilst you reload, you a'int got that at RD.

The second factor is darkness, fire a Martini in the dark and you won't see anything but a flash glare for ten seconds, wake in the night, switch on a bright light and switch it off again and you'll see the bulb for ages!. But worse, as the smoke gets in you face, plus the boxer round had a tendancy to blastback if the case separated, the results of this is red hot fragments in your face, and the smoke, don't forget your eye is 100mm from the breech block. When we blank fire with the 80th I always shut my eye when I fire are the bl**dy thing often blows in your face, and my Mk2 has a breech as tight as the proverbial ducks a**e.

In the end, apart from those targets illuminated by the hospital, simply firing for effect, i.e blasting into the darkness is quite a physicological tool, both for the firer and the recipricant.

A good read is Khartoum, The Great imperial adventure,by M Asher, The battle descriptions will have you hearing boxer cases chinking in the sand around you, the nearest you could get to RD is probably Abu Klea, close range pandemonium. Once the Mahdists were in.... big problem, no controlled volleys then,... bayonet and sheer determination.

I love the smell of blackpowder in the morning!
Neil

Mike
If you find the "What really happened at RD" thread content distressing then please feel free to comment in that thread instead of side swiping on this thread. What is the "utter nonsense" you refer to? Please lighten up. I started that thread with a smile and my tongue firmly in my cheek after reading Pat's booklet. If it stimulates conversation then it has done it's job.
There is no doubt that most of the booklet is a wind-up. However, it has raised a couple of issues which are, again, worthy of discussion.

Regards,

Mel

It's my business where and what I contribute. And it is obviously not possible to 'side-swipe' on this forum. Everything is here for everybody to see. I try to contribute where I think I can help or add value, or where I think it might be fun to do so. I hope you can respect that. I respect your right to say whatever you like on any thread you like. If I feel a burning urge to come on and directly challenge you or agree with you, then I will. But I don't have to. As it was that particular thread quickly took off in an unfortunate direction. Then on top of personal rancour , there was bad history into the bargain - none of which was anything to do with you I seem to recall. For my part I just didn't want to play - simple as that. Personal decision. Free country.

Regards

Mike
Julian whybra

Chard wrote"the following day we buried 351 bodies of the enemy...many bodies were since discovered and buried...many bodies were found in the caves and among the rocks, a long distance from the fort....in my report i underestimated the number we killed (350)"
Alekudemus

Just re-read private John Jobbins letter to his parents that was published in the Hereford & Monmouthshire Times on March 21st 1879.

I quote "They killed about twelve of our men but we killed at least four hundred and fifty of them".
INA KNIGHT
clive dickens

Glenn
Ian Knight has written a piece in the latest issue of SOTQ in which he touches on the subject of the Zulu dead at Rorke's Drift the actual article is about the new memorial for the Zulu dead at Rorke's Drift. if you do not have a copy try and get hold of onw it is very interesting.
Clive
Zulu Casualties at Rorke's Drift - A Foggy subject?