rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
'Italian' waterbottle on eBay
Bill Harris

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-RARE-GENUINE-Italian-Pattern-Water-Bottle-ZULU-WAR_W0QQitemZ140028313947QQihZ004QQcategoryZ69195QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No, I'm not selling this ---- Yes, it's expensive Exclamation

I've never seen one of these for sale before, and the asking price rather convinced me that I will not likely ever acquire one, either. Looking at the pictures will have to be enough! I was particularly struck by what appears to be a maker's mark on the bottom of the bottle (G. REED, London) and the apparent absence of a 'broad arrow' mark that usually signifies War Department property. Any thoughts? Do any members here own one of these?

All in all, it appears much better made than any of the modern reproductions I've seen. It would be interesting to know how they made these bottles 130 years ago, and why the British army opted for this sort of design over a circular metal canteen, which probably would have been cheaper.

Bill H.
Adrian Whiting

Bill,

I am lucky enough to have an original water bottle. Like this one mine has no broad arrow but does have what I believe is a manufacturers stamp on the base. The stamp is a black ink oval. The writing that I can make out says "28 Floral -------- Garden" and from having lived in central London I can guess the missing words are " Street, Covent" because around the lower portion of the oval is the word "London". In the centre I can make out the word "J. ----- PEAR". Otherwise it is exactly the same as the one offered here.

'Italian' waterbottle on eBay