rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
VC stamps
Simon Rosbottom

In September 2006 Royal Mail are issuing a set of VC stamps to commemorate 150 years of the medal. The first day cover features some well known ones (Chavasse, Upham, Cornwell, Albert Ball) and some not so well known.

Some very nice presentation packs with features etc. (especially the Canadian one.) Alas, none from the AZW that I could see.

Worth a look. Shocked

Regards

P.S. 9 Nov sees the issue of stamps commemorating the 90th anniversary of the Somme.

Site Admin

Simon,
I wonder, is Martin-Leake there too? He's the other VC and bar, and the only one of the three who is buried in this country, 3 miles from me?

Alan,

I didn't see him. Odd as the other two double winners are. I've only seen the promotional leaflet (#151) not the stamps or packs themselves. They don't seem to be shown on the royal mail website either.

Perhaps pick up a leaftlet next time you're in your local Post Office.

It's been quite a good collectors year for both stamps and coins. Trafalgar, Brunel, etc.

Regards

Simon

Simon Rosbottom

Alan,

On closer inspection..... In the Prestige Stamps book on the first pane, there is a portrait of one Albert (Henry (Harry)) Hook VC beneath Albert Ball VC. Hard to see at first from the leaflet as it is tiny and doesn't actually feature Hook's VC account.

Subjects and content decided in consultation with the Victoria Cross and George Cross Association.

http://www.norvic-philatelics.co.uk/2006/09-vicx.htm

Can't see Hook only in the small pic you mention. It's a pity as the general public are probably aware of his deeds more so than some of the other winners.
VC stamps
Simon Rosbottom

Under Prestige Book. He's in the lower right hand corner of the pane above the one entitled "Knight"

good picture of hooky, please excuse my ignorance. who is the chap to the left of Henry hook ?

Simon Rosbottom

William Hall VC (Lucknow 1857)

HALL, William. (reg No. 511).
Able Seaman. Royal Navy (Naval Brigade).
Gazetted on 1st February, 1859.
Born on 28th April, 1827 at Horton's Bluff, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Died on 25th August, 1904 at Hantsport, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Memorial on the Cairn monument at Hantsport, Nova Scotia.
Digest of Citation reads:
On 16th November, 1857 at Lucknow, India, naval guns were brought up close to the Shah Nujeff Mosque, and the gun crews kept up a steady fire in an attempt to breach the walls, while a hail of musket balls and grenades from the mutineers inside the mosque caused heavy casualties. Able Seaman Hall and the Lieutenant * in command of the gun crews were , after a time, the only survivors, all the rest having been killed or wounded, and between them they loaded and served the last gun.
* T J Young (reg No.1347).
Additional information:. Petty Officer Hall was the first coloured man to win the Victoria Cross .

Simon Rosbottom

I received my VC stamps at the weekend. Commemorative coins too. Very nice sets, professionally done. The booklet has a nice touch, opening up as the medal case does.

clive dickens

[b]
Simon
No there was only one mention and that was in the more costly booklet which I bought and that was only a small mention to Pte Hook very disapointing
Clive
VC stamps
Simon Rosbottom

It is the 150th anniversary of the medal and not a commemmoration of Rorke's Drift. Those won at RD do get a group mention and Hook does well to get a picture in amongst the other 1354.

They have featured those of particular note. Hollis - D-Day, the double holders, Beharry - the most recent, William Hall - the first coloured winner, Lucas - the first winner, the more well known, Ball, Cornwell... those surviving today. It really is a broad cross section.

Perhaps the Royal Mail should be lobbied in 2029 to produce a 150th anniversary RD set?

Regards