rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
R E Museum
peterw

Any feedback yet - I know the event only started yesterday.

Peter
Simon Rosbottom

An enjoyable day with lovely sunny weather. Great setting as the rest of the museum was open to look around in addition to the Diehards display, stalls, wargame (Myer's Drift) and the lectures. Oh and I managed to meet Alan!

The timetable was different on the day as that advertised as Julian Whybra wasn't lecturing so Robert Hope gave his VC lecture twice. John Young changed his lecture from Hlobane & Khambula to Rorke's Drift as he said that yesterday's had gone down like the proverbial lead balloon which was a shame as I was looking forward to the original programme.

A section of Diehards in 24th kit gave a great close order and weapons drill display whilst their officer explained to the audience what was going on. The blanks certainly got the kids attention, if only momentarily.

I'm off to listen to David Rattray for the next three nights at the Royal Geographical Society - quite a AZW week for with only Sunday off for Waterloo.

Site Admin

Good to meet you there Simon.
Also present was HRH Prince Shange and Prince Patrick. Always a great pleasure to meet them.
All those who took part, lecturers and displays deserve our thanks and appreciation for the real effort they put into events such as this.

I would also like to thank everyone that took part and organised this brilliant event.

I was fortunate enough to attend both of John Young's lectures and thought that his Hlobane & Khambula presentation in particular was great.

I'm looking forward to next year's event already!

Dewi. Very Happy
Colin Fielding

Sorry to disappoint you but as it stands the RE Museum is not staging this event next year, which is a shame because it's one of the few Zulu themed days out which is within 100 miles from where I live !
Thoroughly enjoyable week-end though. Well done to Bob Driver and Roy Bennett for their display and to to Dave Sweet from the Diehards for looking a lot like Fred Hitch!
Forthcoming event is at Whittington Barracks near Lichfield at end of July.

Regards to everyone, Colin Fielding
Dewi Evans

That is disappointing news indeed Sad , I sincerely hope it will find a new home, and that this excellent event will continue for years to come Exclamation

Where can I find more information about the forthcoming event at Whittington Barracks Question

Dewi.
Alan
Site Admin

Dewi,
the event is mentioned in our 'Events' section.

There is a big Anglo Zulu war weekend on the 29th/30th July at S.Staffs Museum, Whittington Barracks, Lichfield. The diehards, the 80th and the 1879ers are there, The firing displays should be of numbers not seen in the UK before.

Thanks very much, Alan Very Happy

Dewi.
R E Museum