rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Doctor Who a Mike Snook Fan???
scarletto7

Was watching tonights Dr Who, when one of the characters spoke the 'How can man die better' poem. Now whilst it didn't really seem in character with what was happening, i did think that unless someone had read either Horatius (unlikely at BBC) then they had to have read Mikes Book Smile

Now i know that DS9 had a lot of references to the Alamo as one of the producers had a big interest in the battle, so maybe someone at the BeeB is a fan of the Zulu wars and Mikes Book Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Scarletto -

Remember that Dr Who is produced in Wales!!

Wink

Regards,

Paul
Peter Ewart

A wee bit harsh there on the Beeb, Scarletto!

I rather fancy that someone at the BBC was simply reasonably well educated, or fairly well read or has a fair grasp of general knowledge and was, therefore, already familiar with these lines. At least I hope so!

Which is, no doubt, how Mike came to choose his title in the first place ...?

Peter Wink
scarletto7

Peter, sorry if any BeeB are readers, but I've done research for such TV Companies, and sorry I'd be suprised if some have read anything after school, and one or two in school!!!!

Maybe I'm dumming down the writers of Doctor Who, but I'd rather think it was from Mikes Book than a learned scholarship Very Happy
Mike Snook

Dumbing down!! My book is far more learned than a few lines of verse!! Wink I used to win prizes for my poems when I was twelve! But come to think of it - Lord, they were awful!

Anyway its good news that a Time Lord is interested because I'm very keen to get my hands on a time machine.

Mike
Alekudemus

Can't be anything to do with a BBC employee. Surely in these times our politically correct brigade who run the corporation would have corrected it to "How can a person die Better". I'm still waiting for the return of "The person from U.N.C.L.E".
Doctor Who a Mike Snook Fan???