rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Cookhouse, Toilet and Ovens
Rob Dumelow

In pursuit of my aim to refight the battle of Rorke's Drift in 28mm scale I am hoping to construct the above features of the site. I have already built the hospital and storehouse from contempory plans; painted up a all the barricades I need and started on the figures (about a dozen brits and 40 zulus so far) but would like any details of the cookhouse, toilet and ovens (3) on the site.

Any input (no matter how speculative) is more than welcome and i'd be much appreciative of whatever you guys have to offer.

Cheers

Rob D
Damian O'Connor

Dear Rob,
I can tell you what they used them for.
Damian
mike snook 2

Rob

The so called cook-house that people like to talk about was a square wattle and daub African hut as far as I can establish.

The loo/privvy would have been a long drop shack. Yard square, door, room enough to stand up in, sloping roof.

There's a marvellous scene in one of the 'Young Guns' films where our erstwhile band of heroes pump hundred of rounds into a privvy shack, in which (from memory) a man called Buckshot Rogers (or similar) is going about his business!! Buckshot has survived their heavy fire and rather improbably emerges to let the boys have both barrels. Well that's what the loo at RD looked like!!!

Great scene - made me laugh anyway!!

Good luck with the project.

Regards

Mike
Rob Dumelow

Cheers Mike

I figured the privvy would resemble something of that sort but was unsure on the cookhouse. Thanks for the info there.

Sounds like a thrilling western!

Damian

Thanks for the offer but I think that I can surmise the useage of the buildings!

Rob
Cookhouse, Toilet and Ovens