rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sawubona

Jozi (mwade),
Well spoken! I crawled a bit into that very cave, but was driven out by the goat droppings and empty beer bottles. But it's something of a holy place and I'd like to send "Coll" or anyone else some photos of it. Drop a line (send a "private message") if you want any.
Coll

Sawubona

Thanks for your kind offer, but I do have a few images of the cave.

It was while looking at them and reading accounts of this soldier's last moments, that made me start this topic, considering another outcome, being his survival and events after his discovery.

Thanks again

Coll
Joseph

Sawubona,
I would love to have any photos you would share of the cave.
Thanks,
Joseph

Sawubona wrote:
Jozi (mwade),
Well spoken! I crawled a bit into that very cave, but was driven out by the goat droppings and empty beer bottles. But it's something of a holy place and I'd like to send "Coll" or anyone else some photos of it. Drop a line (send a "private message") if you want any.

Sawubona and Coll - any chance you could send me some pics of this cave please.

I'm fascinated with this account.

Thanks
Alan
Site Admin

There is one picture of the cave entrance in this story.

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/stories/2002_tour.htm

Yes, it's a proper cave alright. It goes into the side of Isandlwana a good 10 feet or so and is more open inside than at the entrance, but certainly not so large as to be able to stand upright anywhere. As I recall, it's underneath an overhanging ledge and so is inaccessible from anything but a frontal assault.
This story is probably apocryphal, but I was told (on site) and have read elsewhere that the "last of the 24th" was badly wounded and the survivors of Younghusband's little group were down to their final rounds. The Zulu induna shouted for silence among his warriors and a halt to their attack and in the ensuing, respectful lull, the British gave their few remaining cartridges to him. Younghusband then shook hands with each of his men, drew his sword and led the downhill charge into the mass of Zulu below with his sword "flashing like the sun". The lone infantryman defended himself in the cave for a long, long time afterward before he was finally shot. I'd like to believe as well that some of the pock marks in the rock walls and roof of the cave are, in fact, bullet damage-- they certainly look as though they could have been ploughed by a bullet. I too have read the rope story, but assumed that the rope was simply used to drag his body out. I can't imagine why he might have had a rope with him and a bullet surely would be quicker and a lot more practical.
ciscokid

amazing mate 0- thank you very much
Sawubona

Cisco, did you get my private post? I'm not sure it went through.
ciscokid

Sawubona wrote:
Cisco, did you get my private post? I'm not sure it went through.

twice mate!

Please bear with me - I started watching your youtube vid just when my Mrs bought in my dinner, which broke one of my new years resolutions (not to use my laptop when eating). ww3 erupted. I'll reply soon!

Wink
Coll

It is a very interesting part of Isandlwana, to hear of a solitary soldier, holding out to the last.

The painting, although I've only seen a small black-and-white photograph of it, shows an exhausted man at the cave, the traumatic events etched in his features.

Showing groups of 24th fighting in small and large numbers, surrounded by Zulus, is a very heroic image, but this man on his own captures not only the horror of what he witnessed, but I think his loneliness at the end.

A very moving moment.

Coll

P.S. Does anyone know where I can see a larger colour image of the painting ?
John Young

Sawubona

There is a larger reproduction of the painting at this site (if you can cut and paste it) that's about 58K and you can download an even larger image still (198K or so). I can't seem to post the actual link (or maybe I can and just don't know it, but the site is www.picturelive.net. just search for last of the 24th if the link doesn't work properly. Scroll down to "download original file" for the larger image.

http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:XRQU76rk2pUJ:www.picturelive.net/cp/displayimage.php%3Falbum%3D830%26pos%3D2+last+of+the+24th+moynan&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us&client=firefox-a
Coll

John/Sawubona

Many thanks !

Coll
Sawubona

Coll,
While I've got your attention and you're particularly interested in Durnford I'll ask if you have ever come across any mention of Durnford's having been wounded early on in the battle? I was reading KS's Source book late last night and one of the less familiar eyewitness accounts says that one of his (Durnford's) men was met in the camp area by the eyewitness while the former was getting ammo to take back out to the firing lines and he stated that "Durnford had been shot"? I'd never noted that before! I'll dig up the exact reference if this might be of further interest to anyone, but it's more than likely simply a red herring thrown out by a mistaken man from Durnford's unit.
Coll

Sawubona

No, I don't think I read that anywhere, but an interesting comment.

Was there not an LBH rumour along the same lines, that Gen. Custer was wounded at the river, early in the battle ?

Coll
Last Man Standing