rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
A Word of Thanks From A New Poster
Big RI Joe

This is ,without a doubt, one of the best forums on the entire Internet. I am astounded at the depth of the discussions. I have an anecdote I'd like to share with the readers. In the United States, there is a wargaming convention called Origins. In the 1978 Origins convention, which I attended, a miniatures game of Rorke's Drift was being set up. I walked by, and casually remarked that the only thing missing was a fine Welsh tenor. Almost on cue, a ragged voice broke out with "Men of Harlech, stop your dreaming." The song was picked up, and before it was concluded, almost the entire hall had joined in. I'll never forget the fact that there was nary a dry eye in sight....mine included.
ralph dyer

wonderful, wish i was there. sounds like you had a special day.
ralph.

I was at a particularly special place recently and a certain individual known to all of us sang the first phrase of that song (I've no recollection why he did it nor that he could even sing) and I joined in with the second. We finished together in serendipitous harmony on the third phrase and the rest of the crowd foolishly stood with their mouths agape. Isn't it funny how the pomposity all fades away when kindred spirits meet and they both know the words and that tune? "You think the Welsh can't do better than that, Owen?"
A Word of Thanks From A New Poster