rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Blamed For More Than Isandhlwana But The Whole Invasion ?
Colin

What is interesting to me on rereading my AZW books, is the fact that whoever was found to be blamed for the defeat at Isandhlwana, actually was being held to account for the stopping of the whole first invasion.

The defeat at Isandhlwana halted the invasion in its tracks, as the loss of so many men, wagons, equipment, etc., left it impossible to continue, with Pearson holed up at Eshowe and Wood ordered to make demonstrations to draw any Zulu forces near the former away.

Therefore, that is how the determination to allocate a fall guy in the aftermath was so significant, it wasn�t just the battle they are accused of losing, but the complete advance of all 3 Columns.

Now, the defeat at Isandhlwana was huge in itself, but the ripple-effect after it meant the British had to go on defence, the remnants of the Centre Column having to withdraw from any further action.

So, when you point at someone as the cause of Isandhlwana, the complete and absolute whole is also laid at their feet, which is why great efforts were taken to prove the allegation wrong, as it was more than just the battle, it was everything.

Now that is a shocking conclusion when putting your mind to it - one man apparently ruined Frere and Chelmsford�s big plans for a quick campaign, before the government could react to the unfolding events.

Hopefully, but unlikely, this should underline why the Durnford family, Royal Engineers and I guess myself, can�t let it go without a fight ?
Blamed For More Than Isandhlwana But The Whole Invasion ?