rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Melvill And Coghill Print By Simon Smith
Colin

I�ve seen this on Ian�s FB Page, which struck me as even more sharply defined than that of the Schiess print, but as someone has pointed out it looks quite odd.

It almost looks like from a computer game, as even my Durnford Rides Out print has an element of realism, has the artist changed his techniques lately ?

Alan
Site Admin

It's almost photographic which is the reason that a question may be asked that it's not his normal artist style.

I think it's probably a very accurate rendition of what happened, although wasn't there a question of which
grouping of Zulus killed them? There's no doubt Simon is a very capable artist.

Although I have my own thoughts on Melvill and Coghill, this is the best image I�ve seen of them, interestingly, the artist seems to have the Zulus holding back from rushing to kill them, maybe, just maybe, highlighting the fact they didn�t kill the officers on the Natal side, but others (behind the artist so to speak) who actually lived in Natal.

However, that�d be reading too much into the artist�s concept.

Again, with the artist, the officers are too �pristine� after riding miles over rough terrain, full of thorn bushes, etc., then crossing a river in full flood.

I like Simon�s AZW paintings, but there is a bit too much control over the depictions, by excluding the �ugly� side of combat - dirt, blood, wounds, etc.

With the artist doing these two recent paintings, especially Schiess, I�m hoping he�ll venture into the depiction of Shepstone�s Last Stand on the western slopes of the mountain - now that I would buy
Melvill And Coghill Print By Simon Smith