rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Corporal Schiess Painting By Simon Smith
Colin

It�s good to see a painting solely of Schiess at Rorke�s Drift, but I do recall seeing another colour print of him on the mealie bag barricade, his hat in the air, after being shot off by Zulus below on the other side, perhaps it was in one of the Osprey books, quite a modern print, again focusing on him alone, instead of amongst the other defenders -

Alan
Site Admin

We have to bear in mind that there is no authenticated image of him, apart from his uniform.

Incidentally, is that a MH rifle pointing at him from the other side of the barricade?

Yes, it looks like Simon may have considered that when painting, Schiess�s face covered with hat, beard and raised rifle, only the bandaged foot likely identifying him. I�d rather this than guessing his facial features, as some artists get participants features very wrong.

Looks to be an MH, maybe taken from one of the men in the hospital, or killed in the yard, instead of taken at Isandhlwana.

Simon�s paintings are very good, but my only opinion is they can be too �clean� and sharply static..but this is a minor point.
Alan
Site Admin

Agreed, I admire Simon's work a great deal. I have his RD version on the wall.

Simon's website: http://sasmithart.co.uk/