rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Newspaper Article 1879 - Col Durnford�s Column
Colin

Found this by chance, it was interesting to me that Durnford�s name was used in the heading, very similar to an article I saw regarding Custer�s defeat, the former I was expecting to see Chelmsford�s name instead, Durnford himself being a lesser-known.

Minor point I know -

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP18790226.2.16
Alan
Site Admin

Wasn't Durnford's a column on its own, No.2 It was the only column completely routed at Isandhlwana,
or anywhere else. Perhaps the reason for the headline?

Last edited by Alan on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

It seems to be going on what vague info they had, I guess with Durnford being the senior commander at the camp, they just called both his No.2 Column and Pulleine's section of No3 Column a single column that the former commanded, as we know how details were incomplete and much mostly wrong anyway afterwards.

I don�t think they bothered with specifics, maybe even to do with how much space and words they could use in the newspaper, so really just a summary reporting that a disaster had occurred.

I found it a bit unusual to have Durnford in the heading, as with Lord Chelmsford in full command, expected him to be mentioned at the beginning, unless of course, though doubtful, it was sought to impress on the public it was a Durnford defeat, not Chelmsford�s, as he wasn�t there...but I reckon this newspaper wasn�t involved in conspiring with higher authority, to encourage this viewpoint in the aftermath.
Newspaper Article 1879 - Col Durnford�s Column