rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Re-Released
ayr41

Had a look on ebay today as someone was selling a full set of eight Zulu UK lobby cards, however after enquiring turns out they were not from the original but the seller informs me they are a re-release set and different from the original set of 1964. When was the re-release done.

Stephen
Re: Zulu Re-Released
Johnny_H

ayr41 wrote:
Had a look on ebay today as someone was selling a full set of eight Zulu UK lobby cards, however after enquiring turns out they were not from the original but the seller informs me they are a re-release set and different from the original set of 1964. When was the re-release done.

Stephen

I believe it was re-released in the 70's at some point, Sheldon Halls "Zulu with some Guts Behind it " book touches on the subject rather well, I just havent gotten around to reading that part yet.

Lobby Cards
andrewmcharlton

Hi Guys, I just acquired a set of 5 of the 1964 cards from the USA in decent nick and had them professionally framed, look awesome....just completed my quest to get Stanley Baker, Michael Caine and James Booth's autographs also so had them framed in one large set with accompanying zulu stills.

Inspired after just visiting RD, mind blowing.....
Sheldon Hall

ZULU was re-released in the UK in 1967, 1970, 1972 and 1976. If they are British lobby cards, they are most likely from the 1972 reissue, for which new publicity materials were made. It was also reissued in the US some time after 1968 (I can't be more specific without further research), so if the cards are American then that's as close as I can get!
andrewmcharlton

They all have USA copyright info on them and have 1963 as the publication dates, the 5 I have I believe were part of a set of 8 ?? Alas I couldn't get the other 3.
Sheldon Hall

1963 is the copyright date of the film (it wasn't released anywhere until 1964), so the date of issue of the cards is still open to question. What is the credit for the distributor? The film's US distributor Embassy changed its name to Avco Embassy in 1968. Also, is there a censorship classification (G, PG, GP, etc)? These were also introduced in 1968.
andrewmcharlton

They show copyright 1963 Embassy Pictures in the bottom left corner, Printed in the USA with the serial 64/36 in the bottom right hand corner.

Also has a warning that they are only to be displayed in connection with the movie and must be returned afterwards.

They have slight light fading and yellowing with drawing pin marks in the corner so I have had them all professionally framed and mounted and they look awesome, I suspect I may have got a bargain....
andrewmcharlton

by the way they all have a typed number under the L in ZULU and I seem to have numbers 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8.

There is no certification on these items anywhere.
Sheldon Hall

In that case I think they are probably from the original 1964 US release, rather than a later re-release. Distributors sometimes supplied more than one set of cards, so it's not impossible that there were 'A' and 'B' sets for ZULU. Hope you find the others!

Sheldon
Sheldon Hall

Andrew,

Whoops! I see that you have already said were from the original release - I'd confused you with ayr41! Sorry for my confusion (age, you know)... but congrats again on your purchase!

Sheldon
andrewmcharlton

Are they worth anything other than the artistic value ?

I just returned from RD and was inspired to acquire these for my office wall.

Just had the autpographs of Michael Caine, James Booth and Stanley Baker framed in one frame with their respective ZULU pictures also.

Looks tremendous !!
Sheldon Hall

A complete set in mint condition would probably be worth a decent sum, but I'm not expert on this so I couldn't name a figure.
Sawubona

For some odd reason, it seems that an some cards are more available than others. Any input on that Sheldon? For example, I see number eight for sale about as often as the rest put together. It's as though they weren't printed in equal numbers.
Anyway, Number One is occasionally available (the ZULU lobby card set had no "title card"), Number Four is kind of rare but out there and Number Seven is often seen. The good news is that you have Number Two, which is very rare! Drop me a line, as I've duplicates of at least two that you need and possibly all three (have to check). I'm sure we can work something out, but I offer only with promise that your children or your children's children will never break up the set in the decades to come or you'll come back to haunt them!
Sawubona

Just checked. Yeah, I do have one, four, and seven as duplicates.
Alekudemus

There is a full set of all 8 currently on Ebay. Opening bid....225 pounds.
Zulu Re-Released