rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Gregory Mpiwa Ngcobo, 1876-1931
Peter Ewart

Anyone on the forum who lives in Kent (not that many, I'd imagine!) and who is interested in Zulu history and/or what happened at Isandlwana in the 1880s, 1890s and during the 2nd ABW, may like to know about an illustrated talk I shall be delivering in Canterbury on 9th March.

Entitled Bridging Two Worlds, it is the result of my research into the life of a young Zulu who grew up at Isandlwana (he was 3 in 1879) and includes his six year sojourn in Sussex (at Bertram Mitford's and James Stuart's old school) and in Canterbury, Kent (at Rev George Smith's old college).

The event is open to the public and full details can be seen on the Canterbury Cathedral Archives website. From Archives go to "Events & Newsletter" & scroll down past the talk's flyer & click on Newsletter No 33. Or go straight to www.canterbury-cathedral.org/archnews.html - the flyer itself is also on the cathedral's own home page. Or, of course, contact me direct. The talk's title is purloined from a Natal Witness editorial commenting on my research into this chap's accomplishments, so I have to acknowledge Stephen Coan or his colleagues for that!

Most of you, I would think, live just a bit too far away!

Peter
Gregory Mpiwa Ngcobo, 1876-1931