rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Defence Base Closures - RRW Museum
peterw

Some may have seen on the news that Brecon Barracks, of which the RRW Museum is part, is to close in 2027. There has been no announcement yet (as I understand it) about the fate of the museum.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-Wales-politics-37902151

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

It sounds a long time off but it's not.

Is it possible for the museum to continue there if there isn't a barracks there?

I doubt it. My bet would be on relocation to the Firing Line within Cardiff Castle. My other bet is that there will not be room for everything and a whole load of material will get archived.

The contents of the Royal Artillery Firepower Museum is in cold storage pending the unspecified time of relocation to Salisbury Plain. The MoD/Army do not want to bear the cost of military museums.

Peter
Martin Everett

The regimental museum is in the old militia armoury at Brecon which is a separate building with its own street entrance. Negotiations for obtaining a lease of this building have been in progress for some time, the devil at the moment is in the detail to produce the final document.

Remember Peninsula Barracks in Winchester now a residential complex, contains the Rifles (RGJ), Gurkhas, Royal Hussars and Royal Hampshire Regt museums.

Firepower at Woolwich did not attract sufficient visitors - the proposed alternative site of Larkhill, now the home of the Royal Artillery is also off the beaten track unless they can find a way of attracting visitors from Stonehenge. My own thought is that the Firepower displays at Woolwich concentrated on bits of tin painted green rather that the great local human history story provided by the Arsenal.

peterw

I wish the museum well - whether in Brecon or elsewhere. I do wonder whether it will attract the footfall it requires if it stays where it is.

Yes, there are numerous museums in the Peninsula Barracks complex (the Hampshire Regt museum is a few streets away), but Winchester attracts a large number of tourists.

I am fearful for the future of the RA Museum and had the pleasure of visiting it - again - just before it closed. It will certainly have nowhere near as much space at Larkhill and I can see much being archived.

The RM Museum in Eastney (Southsea) is also due to relocate to new premises within Portsmouth dockyard backed by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Brecon, although it is has historic association with the 24th. and SWB, it's hardly in a high density populated area.
Realistically, there are not a vast number of other attractions locally to make a long journey worthwhile.
Its restricted size doesn't allow for widening of scope like educational courses or restaurant facilities

A couple of places are mentioned but might there be facilities at Royal Welsh locations such as Maindy Barracks
in Cardiff or Lucknow Barracks in Tidworth, Wiltshire?

I have heard from the curator that the Museum is safe and will not be affected by the Barracks closure.
Defence Base Closures - RRW Museum