rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
1879 Foriegn Service helmet Opinion.
Johnny_H

Hey I am sure a few of you have a "Pith" helmet or two, I was recently looking in the market for one ( just think it will make a nice show piece on a manakin head ). What are the best sources for this? I found a website with a really nice one but its from Australia and its $169.00 Aus. That is with the spike and Regimental crest.

what is the general opinion of this helmet?
http://www.villagehatshop.com/b2b-British-foreign-service_zulu-war.html

Would it be reccomended as a show piece? and would it be possible if I found a regimental crest repro to mount it? I have no idea and I'm totally new to this.

If you know of something better then this, please feel free to shoot a link my way in this thread. I think I would really like to have one of these helmets and perhaps down the road a Crest for it.

Sawubona

Hmm,
Seems kind of pricey for a repro even though it has real velcro. Send me a private message and we'll talk further.
looks nice
Tom516

but it's a pack of 12... unless of course you and some friends are going to shoot a Zulu War fan film? (I'm pretty sure they'll accept it at TheForce.Net. It's after all a fan film of, what else but ZULU!)

I think the Royal Regiment of Wales has a replica helmet plate

http://www.rrw.org.uk/shop/shop.php?action=view&prodid=74

but this is post Cardwell (around 1881) so its after the AZW period... in any case you'd want to get the tea-stained (khaki) variety if you're going to be 'campaigning in Africa'.

I'm hoping to find one of those myself. I saw some at the local Army-Navy a couple of years ago but it was really quite expensive ($50) so I had to pass (not being employed at the time)

I really regret passing on it!

Sawubona

Yikes! I was so caught up in checking the picture for accuracy that I neglected to notice the cost per "unit"! The price is beginning to sound better now.
Johnny_H

its 38.00 for one, I linked the wrong thing Embarassed

Sawubona

My feeling is that if the price is right for a reproduction and the price isn't for the "real deal" at the time (either because the real thing costs too much or I just don't have enough), then I go for it! Of course I try to get the best quality repro that I can afford, but I try to keep in mind that they're repros and not go too crazy. Fortunes change and bargains are out there, but they take time and mistakes to find. One of my first foriegn service helmets cost me an arm and two legs and for five years I thought I'd made a mistake buying it. Then I discovered that it was a very special example and worth about five times what I had paid! So now it's got a reproduction chin chain and the wrong spike, but on the right cruciform mount. And when I finally can get an authentic chin chain and the right spike it'll be done, but until then I'll enjoy it anyway! I don't know about you, but I'd rather admire a reproduction in a glass case than an empty case! NB: My helmet buying motto is: "If it isn't one size fits all, it's probably "real" but not necessarily period!" Good Luck!
ralph dyer

hi, there are plenty for sale on e.bay and you might try this site also, www.argoss.co.uk/pith_helmet.html seems a good price to me. my pith also has a spike and i wondered if any of you know the name for the spike i have heard several names for it e.g. pickle.
regards ralph.

The Village hat shop FS helmets are quite nice. However to be "accurate" the liner must be replaced with the type used in 1879.
Joseph

The main problem with almost every modern Foreign Service Helmet on the market today is an incorrect overall shape with the lower edges flaring out far too much. Helmets of 1879 have very straight sides that verge on the vertical. A quick look at period photographs will show what I mean.

Personally the most accurate modern helmets that I have come across are offered by at a shop in Santa Monica, California of all places that is run by an expatriate Brit. His helmets are very expensive but there is no Velcro, plastic or other modern materials used in them. The liner is leather and sized to the wearer - no one size fits most here. I have visited his shop on occasion and he refused to reveal his source each time. I was lucky enough to find one of these same helmets at a local gun/militaria show about 15 years ago for a much lower price and confirm their authenticity. Here is a link to the site. If nothing else you can see what a good quality modern helmet should look like.

http://www.britishmilitaria.com/4_zulu.html

Point well made, but if I just want it for a showpiece something to put on my military book shelf, I think the cheap one will do nicely seeing as I am going to pay ALLOT for a crest and spike anyways.

As they say...
Tom516

... Gor Blimey! Can't afford that on my teacher's salary. I'll be needing just one that looks the part before the end of the month. Is there another place in Southern California (LA area preferrably) that has it for under $50?

Thanks!

tom

Tom,
whatever you do,don't buy one with a pugaree around it.
It wasn't worn during the Zulu war by the troops.
Maybe,perhaps by Chelmsford.
The brown one doesn't look authentic.It looks too smart.
I believe they stained the white ones.
The shape looks good,though.
Also,I think the spike was worn on the blue cloth helmet,not the White one.
Can anyone confirm this?
Tom
Sawubona

Both it seems, but I guess it was generally removed in the field. Likewise the helmet plate. Now can anyone enlighten me as to whether the cruciform base plate and the chin-chain went overseas with the spikes or did they remain behind? A spike looks somewhat lame threaded directly into the ventilator without the cruciform base and I've always assumed the two pieces traveled about as a set. But I've a R.A. helmet ball and an infantry spike that are both brazed to ventilated dome fittings and that appears to be a complete way to install those ornaments without need of a base plate. These might be a later vintage though, as I know the spike I mentioned belongs on an early twentieth century Wolsely style helmet. Input?
Edward

Tom516,

As mentioned above, The Village Hat Shop in Long Beach, CA has an OK version for $38.00. the one they offer is correct without the pugaree but has the slight;ly flaired brim. It looks OK but is not 100% authintic for 1879.

Edward wrote:
Tom516,

As mentioned above, The Village Hat Shop in Long Beach, CA has an OK version for $38.00. the one they offer is correct without the pugaree but has the slight;ly flaired brim. It looks OK but is not 100% authintic for 1879.

That sounds about right and that's close enough to where my dad will be when he's in LA I think. Many thanks! I'm putting together a sort of Colour Sergeant Bourne costume for our summer Vacation Bible School which is situated in Africa (the theme is Dr. David Livingstone) so the hat is de rigeur.

Again many thanks,
Tom516

1879 Foriegn Service helmet Opinion.