rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Death of a friend.
Alan
Site Admin

Very sadly I have just learned of the death of Lt Col (retired) Mike McCabe.
Well known to this forum, He passed away after a long illness yesterday.

He was known here for a while using Galloglas as his username and more
recently in his own name. He certainly knew his subject and I'm sure
will be greatly missed.

Very sad news indeed.

Dewi

That's very sad news indeed, Alan. Thank you for letting us all know. Although aware he'd been seriously ill, I'd hoped that his recent very welcome reappearance on the forum was a sign that things might be on the mend, so this comes as a very sad shock.

He was a great asset to this forum, whether contributing in his own name or under his well known pseudonym - not the first one he used here if I recall correctly. With a military background (37 years in the RE I believe) linked to his long familiarity with Zululand itself he was perfectly equipped to analyse matters deeply and to offer his suggestions on what appears to have been his main AZW interest, the Battle of Isandlwana. Several of his very original suggestions of what was possible or what might have happened made me, for one, think more deeply about certain aspects of the battle.

After reading his posts and also corresponding with him for some years, he was not, in appearance, the archetypal Lt. Col I expected to meet! Chatting to him at the NAM or at Brecon was a very rewarding experience, as indeed it was to listen to his fascinating lectures, which were never without their humour. Having been, I should think, the very first of anyone studying the AZW today to have visited Rorke's Drift & Isandlwana - as a Durban schoolboy in 1956! - he seems to have known every nook and cranny of the area, and certainly took a great interest in the well being (or otherwise, as has often been the case) of St Vincent's.

A great brain, great communicator with a teasing sense of humour and a fascinating acquaintance. Very sad news indeed.

Peter
John Young

What sad news, what a dreadful loss.

I first met Mike several years ago in Rules Restaurant, Maiden Lane, London for an early lunch. It was there we plotted where to build the bridge at Rorke's Drift. Several hours later - as the staff needed our table for the pre-theatre diners - we emerged into the evening hustle and bustle of Covent Garden our task complete.

Let that bridge which spans the watery divide between Natal and KwaZulu be Mike's lasting legacy to the people who live there or visit the area.

Mike loved the Zulu people, so much so that incorporated into his family coat of arms was the word UBUNTU. That Zulu term which expressed humaneness; the caring, sharing and being in harmony with all of creation.

Go well Mike.

John Y.
mike snook 2

What a terrible, terrible shame; I had hoped Mike's recent return foretold an upturn in his health. Sadly not. I shall remember him atop Mahlabamkhosi, where once he and I spent an extremely interesting morning playing the old battle through in our mind's eye. He was a master of his subject, had a mischievous sense of humour, which I always rather enjoyed, and was a gentleman. Old soldiers never die; they only march that little bit deeper into the battle-smoke. I salute you Colonel McCabe. See you on the other side of the batteries.

M
Sawubona

OMG! Hey, I never knew Mike McCabe from Adam, but Galloglas?- THAT fellow was a friend of mine. No, I didn't always agree with him, but I never had anything but the utmost respect (and admiration) for his thoughts and always considered myself fortunate for having heard them. Hamba kahle!
peterw

Very sad news indeed. I met Mike during the AZW event at Brecon in 2011. He had an idiosyncratic, almost eccentric, charm, and a phenomenal grasp of the geography of the battlefield.

My pause for thought this Sunday may just be slightly deeper than usual.

Peter
Bill Cainan 3

I echo all the sentiments above.

Those of who were privileged to hear his lecture on Col Durnford at the last AZW weekend in Brecon will remember just what a class act he was

A true gentleman with a superbly developed sense of humour. His passing will be a sad loss for all of us in the AZW "community".

Bill Cainan
Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh
Peter Quantrill

Indeed vey sad news. Mike's fund of knowledge on the AZW and matters Royal Engineers was near unsurpassed.
Always ready to help and proffer valued advice, his loss will be hugely missed.
Mel

Sad news indeed.
I met Mike at the NAM and Brecon. Very friendly and sociable. Always ready to share his wealth of knowledge.

I shall miss his "mischievous" posts as G.

Just seen this sad news. Mike was a gentleman and a scholar; he was also, as I experienced him, profoundly kind. We are the poorer without him.

Requiescat in pace.

PB-Q
Rob D

Very saddened to hear of his passing.
Rob
Philip Pearce

my respects to his family
Neil Aspinshaw

I just heard about Mike and was much saddened, I always remember the 22nd Jan at the battlefield with Mike Snook and Martin, Mike turned up, with no sunblock and turned lobster in front of our eyes, he always jested he was of stern stuff.. Rest in Peace Mike..

Site Admin

There is a tribute to Mike McCabe on Ian Knight's website which you will find very interesting.

http://www.ianknightzulu.com/sad-news-mike-McCabe