rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Small study into the Martini Trials and Jamming issues
Neil Aspinshaw

Topic of late has been the performance of the Martini in service, so, I have spent a short while collating some of the evidence of field trials in the pre-ceeding years to 1879. It make interesting reading. Regulars to the site know I am a fan of the Martini, but that doesn't cloud my judgements but I am also a realist, I do get the odd jam when on the range with my Martinis, but they are quick to clear once you know how.

The Martini Henry was being field tested from 1871, the rifle went through three transformations until it reached front line service with the British army. Various rifles were ordered for Colonial service (principally Canada) as Pattern 2 Mk1 rifles but most adopted and used in service were the third pattern Mk1.

The key stage alterations were, Safety catch removed (patt 1), Tumbler to trigger altered, Polished breechblock �blued�, extractor strengthened, buttplate smoothed, firing pin altered and strengthened, axis pin changed from bronze solid to split pin, rear sight altered and ramrod amended.

Closer inspection of the reports show that whilst the men expressed reservations, in particular to the recoil being worse than the Snider, breakages of mainsprings and firing pins were the biggest issue, these were fully addressed in the Mk2 rifle of Aug 1877 and subsequent upgrades. But, the adoption of new amendments, were carried out on the third P1874 (service) pattern Mk1 Martini Henry had eliminated a lot of the faults, Rifles were altered to Mk2 specification by service armourers and the RSAF Enfield and RSAF Sparkbrook. This change included the stamping of another 1 along-side the original Mk1 reciever mark.

From 1871-1873 trials on the boxer round and its evolution were carried out, this involved amendments to the case, the inclusion of a paper lining and a beeswax wad added. In the three trials years misfires were lowered from a frighteneing 26% to less than 5% with upgrades, most misfires were attributed to faults with berdan primers rather than the rifle.

In the tess Barrel heat was raised time and again, particular was the rapid firing of 50 rounds, however the RSAF recommended the cowhide for-end shield in 1874. The men also complained that the stock was too short, so, a longer stock was included.

The test reports were submitted to the Superintendent of the RSAF in 1873.
Testing were 24 line regiments, which included the 2/4th, 60th, 46th regiments, Naval contingents (Portsmouth) and service arsenals/ garrisons , including Rawul Pindee (India), Ottowa (Canada) , Allalhabad (Afghanistan), Hythe SOM, Aldershot, Gibralta, Malta, Cairo and various others.

Of the various questions these are most appropriate to the perceived problems of the Martini in action

Q18; Has any difficulty arisen from damages cases in loading/ extracting? all answered No; Portsmouth replied �the cartridges can be inserted even when purposely battered about to test them.

Q19 Is the form of cartridge found convenient to use?. All� �Yes�

Q20 Have any cartridges cut around the base?: of 137,308 fired only seven cut around the base.

Q21 Have any caps given way? (Aldershot) two returned

1873 Lt-Colonel C Catty 46th Regiment
Difficulty in extracting cases: occasional, lever has to be jerked with considerable force. �the percentage of misfires and miss fitting cartridges very small, invariably the ramrod has been used to extract the cartridge.�

Final test by 2nd Battalion Scots guards, 8-12-75 Report by H C Fletcher (Colonel)
400 rounds were fired without cleaning in four days with rifles No 87 & 647
�These two rifles were put through the sand test, two hand full of dry sand were poured on top and bottom of the breech actions, 3 rounds were then fired, this was then tried with the breech open. The rifles were buried in sand, one breech open the other closed, and afterwards fired 3 rounds perfectly well.
They were buried in snow for 24 hours and then fired 10 rounds
When the rifles were fired in great rapidity they became very hot after 50 rounds, there was some difficulty in extraction, but on cooling everything worked well, �

My conclusions are that the Martini was the best rifle available to the British army in 1879, it did have its misgivings, but ultimately it was a quantum leap from the Snider, and was universally liked as it was very robust and easy to maintain. When things get tricky you want your weapon to work, it did. OK, fualts were there, but to be a major factor in the outcome of a battle, I think not.
The nemesis of the Martini was the adoption of the Lee-Metford and Mauser magazine rifle.

The information Is gleaned from the Martini Henry Treatise by Temple and Skennerton, fpor more info my website www.martinihenry.co.uk or Jason Adkins marvellous www.martinihenry.com is the website for anoraks.

Neil