rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Charles L Norris-Newman "Noggs"
sjwalker51

Hoping you can help this new member with some information...

I've become interested in this minor but fascinating character - the limited biographical information available reads like a Flashman novel but there seems to be very little information available on his life both pre and post 1879.

It's not even clear exactly where he earned his military rank(s) from - probably with the BSAC or even the Russian Imperial army!

Before 1879 he served with the Carlists in Spain and Gordon in the Sudan. Afterwards he spent the the next 20 years in Africa before heading East, travelling extensively, working for both the Russians and the Chinese.

Along the way, there are 2 marriages, at least 1 divorce, bankrupty and several court cases - he died in Tientsin in 1920

So, any suggestions where I can look to add some flesh to the bare bones of an eventful life?

Thanks in anticipation Simon
Alan
Site Admin

The lack of response to your post is reflecting a general malaise on the site of late.

Anyway, a friend has offered this for you, which may be of interest to you.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Books/s?i.e.=UTF8&field-author=Charles%20L.%20Norris-Newman&page=1&rh=n%3A266239%2Cp_27%3ACharles%20L.%20Norris-Newman

A lack of response is also evident in Peter Quantrill's post on TMFH.
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2577

Some thoughts:

Rank. BSAC - not formed until the late 1880s, so not that august body!

Wasn't he an ex-Regular officer?

I (at last!) have my books out of storage, albeit they are still boxed - a msn for this w/e. When I've sorted myself out, I should be able to provide further.

AMB
sjwalker51

Hi Alan/AMB

Thanks for your suggestions. I've managed to pick up all the currently available published works by him, but they offer few clues to his life. He was never in the regular army and seems to have been quite a dodgy character.

The hunt goes on!
The Scorer

I've just had a thought ... how did you get to be a "special correspondent" for a newspaper?

In particular, did you have to produce proof of who you were and what you'd done previously? I know, of course, that Winston Churchill was a "special correspondent" in several Victorian campaigns, but he did have some experience of writing and soldiering as evidence. He also seemed to have had lots of influential supporters, which would have helped!

I'm thinking of a possible scenario whereby someone turns up at a newspaper office and says "Can I be your "special correspondent" for the XXX Campaign? I've done this, this, and this so I know what I'm talking about". Would they say yes without checking his "references", or would they check everything first?

Smile
Alan
Site Admin

It's probably used in the same way as 'Best Ever' or 'New improved' is used today. Unless of course it was a title given in place of money.

or - not on permanent contract - only paid for results.

Charles L Norris-Newman "Noggs"