rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rob D

Peter Q:
Glad we agree.

Mel:
Hubris best sums it up, I think.

Peter E: (for some reason, the "e" won't capitalise! Sorry!)
Completely agree with your vivid and eloquent expression of the mindset that most probably led to Chelmsford only seeing what he wanted and expected to see. Only wish I'd written it myself.

Coll:
Had the defence been successful I think Chelmsford and his staff would have claimed the credit for setting the groundwork that enabled the expected routine victory.

(I have since amended the word filter and cap E is now possible - Alan)
Coll

Rob

Unfortunately, in the scenario I described, Chelmsford et al would have been killed, which (hopefully) on the hearing of by messengers/survivors, would have finally motivated Pulleine into action at the camp, bettering their chances for the camp to be held, even with numerous casualties.

With Chelmsford, Crealock, etc., being dead, credit would stay solely with the officers and men at Isandlwana.

Questions in the aftermath would be focussed on what the hell Chelmsford was doing in order for himself and those with him to be wiped out, including the studying of his battlefield where it is likely stands would have been made all over the place, with no definite identified defensive position to speak of, the units all being destroyed piecemeal.

Coll
Rob D

Alan:
Thank you

Coll:
Ah, but that's your scenario, not mine. In mine, everything happens as it did in reality, except that at the crisis point the Zulu center doesn't charge and both it and the horns withdraw.
Mel

PeterE,

Interesting but I can't accept that Chelmsfords mindset can be explained by the phrase "tunnel vision". Could you expand on that? (I'm sure that you will be proved right in the end Smile )

You wrote: Reports of Zulu on our left or left front? Interesting, but not really what we're looking for. We shall be doing the attacking, on ground of our choice, and it'll be over there on our right front. Dartnell's found the blighters just where I knew they'd be. Off we go. (Tunnel vision, or what?)

"The Zulus actually attacking our camp? How very amusing!"

Any number of warnings could have come in on the 21st and 22nd but if they didn't fit the plan ...

I thought that tunnel vision is actually a physical affliction. I suppose that it could also, loosley, be used to define some one who, perhaps, cannot mentally focus on multi tasks. But that wouldn't apply to Chelmsford because, as you have pointed out with the logistics and transport problems, he plainly could. Tunnel vision could also be used (with huge amount of diplomacy) to describe some one who only sees what he wants to see because he knows that he is right and the others are not.

Mel

Yes, "tunnel vision" being used here metaphorically rather than medically or opthalmically. Again, can't disagree with your definition in the last para. I'd say this chap was getting dangerously close to being, well, almost arrogant ... !

Didn't see your post until just now - following the events at Lord's yesterday & today has kept me partly out of circulation and my own efforts as a "flannelled fool" will do similarly over the next day or so.

P.
Retiring and retreating - are they the same?"