rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lieutenant Colonel Henry James Degacher CB
The Scorer

I visited Brecon Cathedral on Sunday, and took a photograph of his memorial plaque.

However, I didn't make a note of the dates of his birth and death - can someone let me have them, please? (They don't seem to be on t'internet anywhere!)

Thanks!

Smile
Peter Ewart

Scorer

According to the inscription on the plaque to his memory on the south wall of the nave of Canterbury Cathedral, he died on 25 November 1902, having been born on 24 February 1835. He died in or near Canterbury, having commanded the 3rd East Kent Regimental District from 1882 to 1887. It's an attractive plaque (marble?) which I glance at quite often, found among the considerable number of military memorials which festoon both walls of the nave. It makes mention, of course, of his service as Colonel of the 24th and South Wales Borderers. I think I may have provided the much lamented Keynsham Light Horse website with a photo of this memorial. There can't be many officers whose memory is marked by a plaque in two different cathedrals!

Given his service here, he would, I suppose, now be spinning in his grave following the recent MoD announcement that Canterbury will very shortly cease for ever to be a garrison town with the closure of Howe Barracks. In Degacher's time here it was not only "Depot, The Buffs" and HQ of the Regimental District but also the home of very extensive cavalry, artillery and infantry barracks, not forgetting the militia.

Peter
The Scorer

Thanks very much - it's just what I wanted.

Smile
Martin Everett

Peter,

I had his date of death as 26 November, but I see that from The Times report he died close to midnight on Tuesday 25 November.

However you may be interested in these two sketches/watercolours of AZW by Degacher from NSW Art Gallery (where de Neuville's painting is on display) - there was a connection between Degacher and de Neuville.

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/collection/works/?artist_id=degacher-lieut-col-Henry-james

Peter Ewart

Martin

Interesting that the gallery acquired these two well known Degacher illustrations as well as the de Neuville work. (I knew they had his but didn't know Degacher's sketches had also ended up there.). I wonder if it was connected in some way with the two's St Omer origins. But even if the gallery knew of this childhood link, it would be an unusual reason to acquire the paintings because of it. Wonder whose work they bought first? And/or who it was in NSW who had such an interest in the AZW - if there was someone?

P.
Lieutenant Colonel Henry James Degacher CB