rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
SAGS Medal to Carey 99th Foot
peterw

Anyone considering bidding on this should be aware that the medal appears to have been repinned at some stage. The right foot of the claw on the reverse should be over the A of Africa.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victorian-SOUTH-AFRICA-MEDAL-Zulu-1879-CLASP-TO-1906-Pte-F-Carey-99th-Foot-/300852310966?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item460c31f3b6

Peter
Peter Ewart

Peter

Assuming the repinning was no more than running repairs, would it normally affect the value, do you think? Alternatively, presumably the repinning can sometimes suggest the medal being attached to a different claw, ribbon & clasp at some stage - which might affect the value? Is the final bid a little high for an 1879 medal to a 99th foot private?

P.
peterw

The winning bid was �436. If the medal had not been repaired it would be in the �550-�600 bracket. I don't have any medals to the 99th so am unsure about the naming style but that did not dissuade other bidders.

If a medal has been repinned it raises questions. Is the medal disc original? Is the naming original - a renamed medal might be worth 30% of the value of an original. I have my doubts whether the claw belongs to a SA medal.

Original ribbons are nice to have but don't impact on the value. It's very difficult to tell if a clasp has ever been switched, unless there is a clear difference in appearance with the disc. It's the disc (in my view) that determines the value of a medal, except in the case of the "1877" clasp which is very rare.

There were 903 "1879" clasps issues to the 99th. Personally I would have paid another �100 to get a better one.

Peter
SAGS Medal to Carey 99th Foot