rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sawubona

I agree, Coll! If a book "reeks" it's gone for me as well. If it only smells bad however, it goes right back on the shelf with the other odoriferous books. I only hope my wife puts me back on the shelf when I start to smell too much rather than "bin" me. Wink
Coll

Sawubona

Yes. I don't mind a slight 'dated' smell on a book, which is to be expected, but some books uncared for and badly stored demand too much.

I suppose a book can be sealed in a resealable bag, only being brought out when wanting to read it......outside the house !

Putting it back in the bag on each occasion.
AMB

All,

I, too, hate smelly books! Baking soda being an oft and very successfully used remedy.

I have, on several occasions, returned books to dealers because the books stunk. Cigarettes being the worse smell of all.

That said, I love that wonderfully evocative smell of simply old books; what I hate is the smell of dirty books.

Yuk!

AMB
peterw

I, too, hate smelly books! Baking soda being an oft and very successfully used remedy.

Snap.

I have an RAF squadron reference book which rooks of tobacco - and not nice tobacco if that's not a contradiction.

How does the baking soda method work? Every page of this book stinks.

Peter
An Unknown Zulu War Book ?