rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll

Peter E.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Surely, your opinion of Zulu Dawn is well known by now, that any topic with it mentioned in the original post is best avoided by you ?

This forum has hundreds of members, but many of them stay quiet, though a good percentage might only be interested in the films themselves...being fans of one or both, rather than the real story.

I've got the Zulu dvd, soundtrack cd, Sheldon's book and hopefully soon the script. I've got the Zulu Dawn dvd, soundtrack cd, and thanks to a member on this forum, other interesting dvds related to it. Will hopefully get this new version.

So, please spare a thought for the unseen/unheard fans, and let them enjoy hearing this new info.

Coll
Peter Ewart

Nothing wrong with announcing this new technical info at all, Coll - nothing whatsoever. It's the fiction which accompanied it which I described as hilarious.

You are, I'm pretty certain by now, not only well versed in the story of the AZW - and particularly of Isandlwana - but have long been also very familiar indeed with this film. Excellent. So I'm perfectly confident - absolutely 100% confident - that, having read the very same publicity blurb (above) that I did at lunchtime, you would agree wholeheartedly with my description of it: utterly hilarious garbage.

Note - I didn't lay a finger this time on your favourite film. I even threatened to defend it! But with your knowledge of the film (not to mention its reputation but I left that alone entirely) and, in turn, of the war and that particular battle, I fully expected you to concur entirely with my description of this hype, even if not necessarily saying so. How might I have spoilt things for "the unseen fan" (sorry, "fans" - you sure there are two?) by describing the blurb as hilarious?

Got to pop out into the cold for an hour or two now, but when I get in, what better way to cheer myself up than by settling down with a nice glass of red & glancing once more at that hilarious little blurb. Just to cheer me up and warm the cockles of my heart, as it were ...

P. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing (That's me later on tonight).
Coll

Peter

I see nothing wrong with the blurb. What is hilarious ? Confused

It has never hid the fact that it is supposed to be entertainment.

I'd be more concerned with the ridiculous blurb that promises great stuff in what are supposed to be historical books on the subject, but end up being a complete disappointment.

With the former, what with trailers, etc., you have a good idea of what to expect. With the latter, you don't know till you've got it.

I'd be more let down by the latter if it didn't match the blurb, as some books tend to be a great deal more expensive than a dvd, and are supposed to cover the facts in-depth, whereas a film is only really superficial, to entertain and hopefully as a bonus, strike up an interest in the subject.

Coll
Coll

Several fantastic stills from Zulu Dawn on Ian Knight's new site, in his blog about the film !

Coll
Robin

I was living in Pietermaritzburg at the time of the filming (especially the "oval scenes"). The film makers were hated by locals and it turned out to be a really bad B movie. Despite this I still have a copy but won't upgrade.
Coll

Robin

Yes, there were numerous problems, I seem to recall Burt Lancaster was respected though and involved himself in some of the directing, which appeared to be more successful, as in, less tension.

As an aside, Ian Knight mentions that after the likes of Saving Private Ryan, etc., a new film about Isandlwana would be good, but was looking forward to this new version anyway.

It is a given Zulu shouldn't be remade, or even a re-imagined grittier version, as they would always be compared to the stunning original. However, Isandlwana could do with a completely new film.

Unfortunately, no-one appears to be working on a screenplay, even though it probably would never be made, unless an outstanding piece of work.

Ian Knight, if I'm correct, was going to write something a few years back, whether for a film or docudrama, but it fell through for some reason.

I've even considered trying to write it myself Rolling Eyes
Peter Ewart

Robin

Producing a pretty duff B film was perhaps the least of the consequences. What about the criminal damage to the outfield by those ludicrous equestrian scenes at the beginning? No doubt the bill was huge. A wonder Jonty ever managed to hone those fantastic skills on such a surface. Must have taken a couple of years with the heavy roller while he was still a nipper there. Beautiful ground. You're up the road now but I hope you pop down now & again to check on that tree - it's cultural twin is here in C'bury. The original here finally died but was replaced.

That was sacrilege in 1979!

P.
Coll

Oh please no !

Not cricket on a Zulu Dawn discussion Rolling Eyes

It'll go way off tangent now, from a subject you hate to a subject I hate Sad
Peter Ewart

Fear not, Coll. Not on a hijacking mission, it's just that every mention of the scene filmed at the PMB Oval has me reaching for the tissues. If such a sacrosanct greensward has to be damaged in such a manner, then surely it should have been in the name of something worthwhile - although I can't think of anything that worthwhile.

Back to the film everyone ...

P.
Coll

Peter

It's a Zulu Dawn film location, that is worthwhile enough.

I'd like to have seen more location shots compared with film stills - the camp area, where the Zulus came over the hill, where they stood before the attack, the area used as the nek, where the Zulu bivouac was in the film, the area representing the shoulder of the mountain looking down on the Zulus entering the camp, etc.

It's an aspect not really covered in detail yet Sad
Robin

Coll
I have visited Sandlawana many many times over the past 50 years, heard several explanations from varying viewpoints, heard KG give a Zulu war cry, walked Fugitives Drift, seen a guy dressed in uniform "bayonneted" by a Zulu.

Why on earth would you want to go and look at a place where they made a film of what "allegedly" happened??

Just visit the actual battlefield

I would still love to hear a firearm discharged on the battlefield but have never heard of it happening apart from the Dundee Diehards

Remake of Zulu..no chance..
Coll

Robin

In the same way people visit the Zulu film location.

I'm sure many who have visited Africa, acquired not only photos of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift, but the Zulu 'set'.

Coll
timothylrose

I would still love to hear a firearm discharged on the battlefield but have never heard of it happening apart from the Dundee Diehards

Robin - I take it you missed out on our trip for the 120th commemorations then when we had a right hand company of redcoats vollying into the Zulu hoard on the site. We spent two days rehearsing there and got through about 500 rounds on the 120th itself. Also fired a few shots off at Rorke's Drift and did some filming both at Isandlwana and Helpmaaker.

Also did some shots there for the 125th - and at Fugitives Lodge for the Warrior programme - and we did actually use Martini Henrys unlike some other fellows around.

Atb - Tim
peterw

Coll

Here's a question for you (not a rhetorical question):
What do you know about Anthony Story's contribution as a scriptwriter to Zulu Dawn?

He appears to be co-author, with Cy Endfield, but that's as far as I've got.

Peter
Coll

Peter

Can't tell you much, but it does appear he wrote a biography about Stanley Baker a few years before Zulu Dawn.

They must have got to know each other through film-making, considering Baker was supposed to play the role of Durnford in the film.

Coll

PS. It is interesting to note there is a character called Private Storey in the film, who is killed after firing his last round from under a wagon.
Zulu Dawn Blu Ray