rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Alan
Site Admin

Coll,
everyone has come out in force and where are you? Hope you're well.

I'm around, more in spirit though.

Good to see some members posting. Very Happy

Yes. I'm well(ish) Confused

Coll
John Young

Coll,

As you are around please pm me.

Thanks,

John Y.
Dawn

Hi Coll

Look who've you've flushed out of the undergrowth! How is everyone out there? I'm aware I've been conspicious by my absence of late. Been a busy few years actually - just in case you wanted to know. I bought an apartment off plan (Crazy!) then had to sell my house (not without its dramas) then find a rental to live for 9 months before taking possession and finding that there were issues with some tenants downstairs. It's a mixed use apartment block and I live over a 24/7 gym. Developer forgot to put that on the plans! Anyway, I survive.

Not been able to get my Zulu War book published yet although Penguin SA took a momentary interest in it. However they declared it to be "not economically viable". So be it.

But on the plus side, I've got a historical book coming out next year on the shipwreck of HMS Orpheus off the Manukau Bar in 1863 - New Zealand's worst maritime disaster. It's the 150th anniversary next year so excellent timing.

And all not lost on the Zulu War front with an agent considering taking it to the UK market so maybe you will see it soon.

However, it is not a biography oF Durnford, I'm sad to say.

Dawn
Alan
Site Admin

Good to have you back Dawn.

And I have not been completely idle on all things connected to the AZW either. I've been researching Charles William Melvill, son of Lt Melvill, who ended up on this side of the world and is buried at Karori cemetery in Wellington.

Dawn
Coll

Hello Dawn

Nice to see you back again.

When you no longer appeared on the forum, I thought I might have been the cause, due to the heated arguments taking place about then, between myself and 1 or 2 members.

I took a year's holiday from the forum, well, self-imposed exile to be honest, but came back afresh, like a phoenix from the ashes of my past self.

I've calmed down a bit about you know who.

Anyway, it was really good to see your name today when I checked the forum.

Coll
Dawn

No, you were never the cause, Coll. Life just got in the way.

Dawn
Coll

Dawn

Yes. I understand. Life got in the way of myself too, especially in 2008, as my only brother was found dead. Took a couple of years to recover, as it affected my personality and temperament, which appeared to have filtered onto the forum. So I needed to take a break and give everyone a rest from my bad moods.

Thankfully, I've been back and posting for about a year now. Very Happy

Coll

PS. Personally, I think that is why I am even more determined now, to defend Anthony, and trying to 'help' his brother Edward, as I can no longer help my own brother.
Dawn

Gosh, that's sad, Coll. Grief affects us differently. I lost my husband suddenly in 1997 - 15 years ago this month (accidental drowning). I still miss him. But life goes on and we make the best of it.

Yes, I guess it would give you an insight into how Anthony would defend his brother to the bitter end.

And this thread has taken a melachony turn.

Dawn
Coll

Dawn

Melancholy ? - I don't see it that way, but as something that has pushed me forward to accomplishing something worthwhile and good.

In order to fight the good fight, it has made me focussed on the task in hand, to do something right for someone else, even if they are from history.

What is it Edmund Burke said ?

'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing'.

I'd like to be one of the good men who does something.

That can only be a positive notion.

Coll
Coll

Dawn

Have you tried to release your Zulu War novel as a Kindle book ?

Apparently, it is an easier way to get books 'published' in this format.

Coll
Dawn

Ah, now publishing as an ebook is not without it's pitfalls. For a start, you really need the expertise of a good editor to get it up to a professional standard or else you are just producing an inferior product that ends up on the 'trash' pile. Then there's the actual conversation which is a bit of a minefield.

But not to despair, I'm working with someone at the moment who is keen to convert to ebooks but this will take some time.

In the meantime, to whet your appetite, you can read at extract on my website (accessed through the little tabs at the bottom of my post, click on "Historical Fiction" and scroll down to "Beneath a Blood Red Sky" and click on 'read an extract'.) Enjoy!

And yes, before anyone jumps on me, there is a spelling mistake as I've just noticed (there instead of their) which I will have amended forthwith.

See what I mean about a good edit!
Dawn
Sawubona

I get a warm, fuzzy feeling reading your posts again, Dawn. Glad to see you back. And my condolences, Coll.
Dawn

Nice to be back, but I notice things are a little quiet around here. Is no one going to start a nice juicy debate?

Or has it all been said before?

Dawn
Where Is Everybody?!