rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
National Salute Tuesday by Guards
Robin

I would be grateful if the simultanous firing by the Guards could be explained as i failed to understand the maneuvere performed as explained on Sky. It reminded of the firing by ranks in "Zulu". but i have never seen this before. It was not clear if both lines fired simultanously
I cannot spell or even pronounce the French title for this impressive performance
Thanks
Martin Everett

Robin

I have taken part in the same salute in Cardiff Castle for the Queen's Silver Jubilee - seems now a long time ago. For information try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feu_de_joie

Robin

Thanks Martin
Appreciated
Unfortunately i did not get the rat a tat audio effect, but the "volley" fire was just as impressive. The pageantry of the past 4 days was amazing.
Wish the Yanks would rename their financial use of QE

Last edited by Robin on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan
Site Admin

Whenever I see soldiers on ceremonial duties I always think they should be
using Lee Enfields, or is that just my age hanging out?

Within current defence budgets they very soon might be!

Though not in Scotland perhaps, where the Enfield is likely to be deemed more desirably 'traditional' for its "Long streak of red tipped with steel" that they are so keen to hang on to!

G
Peter Ewart

Robin

I remember the feu de joie commemorating the Queen's 80th birthday but I, too, didn't quite pick up the intended "rat-a-tat" effect yesterday. Perhaps because although the band paused between verses the huge crowd in The Mall was still singing loudly!

I've also enjoyed all the ceremonial of the last four days (all this and the Trooping the Colour still to come!) and I suppose the whole country finally goes back to work today with their heads ringing!

Peter

Last edited by Peter Ewart on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galloglas

Oops, meant to write: "Thin red streak tipped with steel".

G
Peter Ewart

Alan

Yes, I thought the SL80 was a very strange looking weapon to use in ceremonial duties when it was first introduced but have now got so used to seeing it that a longer weapon might now seem just as strange.

Talking of the Trooping the Colour, I see it is on the Saturday of the Brecon weekend, so I've no doubt Bill has already arranged for coverage to be received that morning via giant screens erected on the parade ground ...

P.

PS - that should, of course, be the SA80, but what I know about weapons could be fitted on a postage stamp!

Last edited by Peter Ewart on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robin

Peter
and the Olympics, and Farnborough and Silverstone and.....
I think the NHS will be the hardest workers for he rest of the week
And to think we were satisfied with the Soccer World Cup
Galloglas

It's meant to be a rolling 'ripple' from right to left and was a regular feature of the Berlin Infantry Brigade Queen's Birthday Parade.

However, the current and short 5.56mm SA80 IW is just not suitable for the activity.

On the day, yesterday, the crowd was also fairly easily confused by the lack of explanation. In the Army practice of the 1970s and 1980s a complete verse of the Anthem was played between ripples and it's very peculia of them to interrupt the Amnem as they did and especially since it is what nobody would actually expect.

Plus ca change....

G
Coll

When watching the salute, I did happen to comment to family members, that for all ceremonial duties, the L1A1 should be used, as the SA80 looks totally out of place and awkward.

Coll

PS. Not sure if it is possible to post images of both weapons side-by-side for comparison on this topic.
Peter Ewart

G

Yes, that might have helped, but as the crowd was not an invited or controlled audience with the benefit of, say, a tannoy system or published programme of events (other than newspaper inserts or explanations) it might have been difficult to convey the intention.

As an aside, and reflecting on the nature of the gathering, it is remarkable how the spectators become an integral part of the whole proceedings, even though the military and royal ceremonial are really all that is actually planned, along with the very skilful marshalling of one-and-a-half million moving people by police without a hitch. Unlike rent-a-crowds bussed in by governments in some parts of the world, or even political rallies where the actual attendance is organised, the huge crowds witnessed this week simply arise as the result of a sufficient number of individuals choosing to travel to (or further into) London at their own expense and discomfort to witness the pageantry and the hope of a brief and distant glimpse of their sovereign. No invitation is involved, nor the least persuasion, let alone coercion. Simply the knowledge in advance that the sovereign would be travelling from this place to that at a certain time. The event would go ahead anyway, even with empty pavements or Thames embankment - ditto all previous royal occasions, as well as the route to the annual Trooping the Colour via The Mall and the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph in Whitehall. It was also noticeable how many Canadians, New Zealanders, Australians, Europeans and Americans had travelled to England specifically to be present and witness the events firsthand.

The fact that every town and village in the country appeared to be holding its own jubilee party at the same time makes the size of the crowds on each of the days in London even more remarkable. I could have attended five or six well supported village celebrations within two or three miles of my home (managed to get to the two I'd been involved in when I wasn't playing cricket!) and I daresay so could any one of all the other UK-based members of this forum. The fact that nearly all were planned, organised and paid for by the people themselves and not by any civic body or local organisation also speaks volumes.

Peter
Galloglas

I agree, and it indicates an interesting phenomenon.
That, if the people in general are attracted to an idea or concept then they will go to considerable lengths to interpret and resource what they find to be acceptable manifestations of it.
Potentially aterrifying notion to elected politicians and appointed officials most of the rest of the time.
But, satisfying for those involved and in support of it.

G
Peter Quantrill

Perhaps, (from memory,) the Lee Enfield .303 Mk 1 No 5, used during the Malayan Emergency, with short barrel and lighter than the general issue No 4, may have sufficed?
Peter Ewart

G

Indeed. And at a time when our political leaders appear to feel an obligation to spread the idea that our system (parliamentary democracy) is also best suited to regions of the world which have never felt the need to take up with the idea, a corresponding reduction in public interest (or at least involvement) in the democratic process manifests itself at home, if the level of polling at local and general elections in recent years is anything to go by. I think I'm right in saying, too, that no ruling government here can claim to have polled even 50% of the vote for over 30 years, nor anything like 50% of the electorate. In comparison, polls showing agreement with the system of a constitutional monarchy have never (or rarely) dropped to a figure as low as 50%.

Of course, that may not be comparing like with like, as the monarchy reigns but doesn't rule. It seems to me that the "adjustments" imposed in, say, 1215, 1649 and 1689, served to mould an increasingly workable idea, and the so-called constitutional crises of, say, 1911 and 1936 (as well as a reaction to the antics of the 1990s) have fine-tuned things to reach a position as close to perfection as we are likely to see. We have been very lucky in at least 4, probably 5, of the last 6 incumbents, and the long training for the job and the fact that turkeys don't vote for Christmas suggests that adaptation allied to stability and tradition will continue to be the order of the day (as well as the right and obligation to "advise, encourage and warn" the government of the day, at least one of these on a regular weekly basis) so the future should be well provided for. We have had our republic for centuries - just a royal one.

Which all means that the argument between the SA80 and the Lee Enfield is certainly a very close run thing.

P.
National Salute Tuesday by Guards