rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Introduction - spelk
spelk

Hello folks!

Just a note to say hi to everyone here, thanks to Alan for the signup.

My background is mainly in gaming, and I come at the Anglo-Zulu War rather late, but fuelled by my memories of the film Zulu as a child.

Since I developed a keen interest in Military History and the subsequent ability to "touch history" using computer wargaming, I've been mesmerised by the Anglo-Zulu War. Having spent many an hour pouring over the limited gaming titles where you can actually play through the conflict.

I tend to do everyman After Action Reports (AAR's) on the games I play, with plenty of screenshots and explanations in between. I've done a couple of Isandlwana ones, and upon the release of Jeff Lapkoff's The Drift 1879 game have started on an epic 100+ turn one.

With all this gaming and reading around the subject, come a keen interest in learning the facts about these great Anglo-Zulu War battles, the people, the cultures of both sides etc. So here I am. To suck as much knowledge out of the experts swirling around the Internet ether and clouds of rifle smoke!

But also, just to join in discussion with like minded folks interested in this era of history.
Coll

Spelk

I'd have liked a multi-player first-person XBox game, that allowed you to fight in a 3D Rorke's Drift environment against a Zulu A.I. attacking force, perhaps both forces commanded by players as the officers and indunas.

Additionally, one for a 3D Isandlwana environment, with players as officers/indunas controlling units of their forces.

The idea of walking through a 3D Isandlwana/Rorke's Drift environment as they were on the day as if there, would be quite something.

Coll
spelk

Coll, I'd nibble my own arm off for a game like that! Smile

The nearest we get at the moment, is the Khartoum/Zulu war modification for Napoleon Total War on the PC.

I'm sure the Mount and Blade series on the PC could be modded for the Anglo-Zulu War and allow a first person or third person experience of the area. They've managed it for the Napoleonic era.

I can't see this sort of historical gaming happening on the Xbox though. Theres a sniff of the American Civil War in the Call of Juarez.

The Xbox is firmly planted in the beefy marines against ugly aliens kinds of shooting. Very little of the Xbox generation would want to stand in line behind mealie bags and ripple fire Martini-Henry's, although I would Smile
Introduction - spelk