rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Gunner Howard's Grave
Alan
Site Admin

I received the following from Tim Needham regarding Gunner Howard's grave.

I am currently in the process of trying to have a headstone erected over the unmarked
grave of Gunner Arthur Howard RA (Rorke's Drift Defender) in Brockley Cemetery, Lewisham.

After several frustrating months trying to chase quotes from various companies
(who didn't seem all that bothered about having the business put their way!)
I've approached an Essex-based firm called 'Abbey Memorials' who are happy to provide
and erect an inscribed black granite headstone complete with Royal Artillery crest
for �720 (Lewisham Council have kindly waived their usual �250 fee).

Having opened a dedicated Gunner Howard Memorial Fund account, I already have
donations of �120 with a further confirmed pledge of �150 from the Royal Artillery Charitable Funds;
this leaves approximately �450 to be found & so if any of your members would be interested
in contributing (no matter how small the amount) I would be very pleased to hear from them.
Once the headstone is in place I hope to arrange some kind of rededication service at some stage.

Regards,

Tim Needham

[email protected]

I received the following from Tim Needham regarding Gunner Howard's grave.

The necessary funds for the new headstone have now been raised & the order has gone off to the stonemason. The rededication ceremony is planned to take place on Sunday September 16th 2012 at Brockley Cemetery, Lewisham, & an informal reception will be arranged for after the service. Details will follow once they are fully arranged, & anyone who wishes to attend will of course be most welcome.
Tim

Brockley Cemetery, Brockley Road, Lewisham, SE4 2QY

(Information supplied by Tim)
The service has been arranged to start at 1130am (Sunday Sept. 16th) at the grave-site. Parking shouldn't be too much of an issue within the cemetery.
Vehicle access to the cemetery is via the entrance in Ladywell Cemetery, hence the different postcode mentioned in an earlier post.

The informal reception to follow will be hosted at the TA Centre on Baring Road, Grove Park, SE12 0BH (approx. 3.6 miles from the cemetery) where there will be limited light refreshments available together with a bar/teas & coffees etc. All those attending the ceremony are welcome, & parking is permitted on-site (although routine security checks will be made as you would expect). There will also be a couple of table displays of various AZW artefacts, if anyone has any items of interest that they would like to bring along please feel free (although please note that firearms, even if de-activated, are not permitted within the TA Centre).
Many thanks,
Tim

The re-dedication ceremony in memory of Gunner Howard on Sunday went well and was attended by HRH Prince Shange of the Zulu Royal Family. In addition to Prince Shange, others in attendance included the Mayor of Lewisham, Colin Fielding, Sandra Barker and John Young. Also on display were Gunner Howard's medals which were kindly lent to us for the occasion.
Tim.