rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
John Fielding VC - BBC Wales 21/03/2012
ANDY LEE

A Cwmbran man who earned the Victoria Cross for his part in the 1879 defence of Rorke's Drift is to be honoured with a new memorial in his home town.

Abergavenny-born John Fielding joined the 24th Regiment of Foot at the age of 20 in 1877.

Two years later he was one of around 140 British troops who fought hand to hand with 4,000 Zulus.

A trust set up in his name will restore a memorial at his resting-place in St Michael's Church, Llantarnam.

The �3,750 funding has come from the Cwmbran Regeneration Partnership, headed by John Cunningham, Torfaen council's executive member for neighbourhood services.

He said: "The Partnership has been successful in helping to lever in several thousand pounds of external funding to support regeneration in Cwmbran.

"By working in partnership we are able to achieve greater results and deliver better projects on the ground for local communities."

Mr Fielding's VC is in the name of John Williams, as he gave an alias when signing-up.

The painting The Defence of Rorke's Drift, by de Neuville, hangs at the regimental museum in Brecon The reason is unclear, although it is thought he may have been running away from home, or at least from the area.

The VC citation describes how Private Williams defended two patients in a hospital ward for over an hour, before running out of ammunition.

With the Zulus breaking down the door to get in, he knocked a hole through the wall into an adjacent ward, where he met up with a Private Hook.

Between them, Privates Williams and Hook held at bay the Zulu advance for a further hour, while smashing holes through another three walls to evacuate eight patients to the protection of the garrison's inner defensive ring.

Fantastic story

Speaking on the 130th anniversary of the battle, John Fielding's great-grandson, Robert Cousins told BBC Wales: "The VC itself of course is in the South Wales Borderers' museum in Brecon, but we still have a few mementos.

"There's a small notebook which was given to all soldiers at the time, to record events, and a letter of thanks from the Governor of Natal, who believed that the province could well have been overrun if it hadn't been for the defence of Rorke's Drift.

"It's a fantastic story to grow up with. I'm immensely proud to have such a tale to tell my children and grandchildren."

Incredibly John Fielding, aged 57, volunteered for service again at the outbreak of the WW1, though on this occasion he remained stationed at Brecon.

The eldest of his three children was not so fortunate, dying in action during the retreat from Mons in 1914

John Fielding himself however lived to 75, before dying of heart failure in 1932.

He was the last of the Rorke's Drift VC recipients and his funeral attracted mourners to Llantarnam from all over the world.

Andy Lee Very Happy
Four for Valour

Peter Ewart

Andy

Good news to see the memorial at his last resting place is to be restored. The report also indicates he is to be honoured with a new memorial in his home town. Is the report therefore mentioning two distinct memorials - the restored grave at Llantarnam and a new memorial in the town of Cwmbran, presumably as part of the regeneration of the town, perhaps in the centre?

I don't suppose the reporter (or his readership) asked where the "external funding" of several thousand pounds to support this "regeneration" was coming from, though no doubt the council executive responsible for "neighbourhood services" who is "delivering better projects on the ground for local communities" will know. Presumably, whichever fund-holding bodies have been tapped, the original source will involve public money. Perhaps civic pride in one of Cwmbran's sons - even among the poor - will outweigh any thoughts that the funds may have been better spent on alleviating the plight of local people in an unemployment blackspot? Or perhaps the catch-all phrase "external funding" soothes even the most passionate local advocate of assistance for the needy.

If it is a new memorial, any idea where it will go, or the form it will take? It is quite possible that a prominent structure - a statue perhaps? - might well be "just the ticket" in creating a focal point for the regeneration of the town's appearance which, in turn, might just attract interest, trade and provide a general uplift. In which case, it could be argued as money well spent.

Peter
John Williams /Fielding VC
Colin Fielding

Mornin' all,
Personally, I am only aware of a replacement headstone at Llantarnam plus an additional marker for his wife, who I'm told is within the same plot.
Some of the cost will be met by contributions from descendants for this.
I believe it is scheduled for unveiling on 25-11-12, the 80th anniversary of his passing. I will endeavour to find out more.
I'm sure most of our members are aware that there is The John Fielding pub in Cwmbran and also an exhibition room in the library in his name. Opposite St. Michael and All Angels church, Llantarnam, is John Fielding Gardens, a new housing estate on the former site of John Fielding House, a care home.

Best regards to all, see you at Pluckley at the weekend?

Col.
The Scorer

Here's the article from the South Wales Argus:

"Cwmbran Rorke�s Drift hero to get new memorial
A NEW memorial commemorating Rorke�s Drift hero John Fielding VC will be installed at the church where he is buried.

A grant of �3,752 is being awarded to the John Fielding (VC) Memorial Trust to replace the memorial at St Michael�s and All Angels� Church in Llantarnam.

Torfaen council neighbourhood services executive member Cllr John Cunningham approved the Cwmbran Regeneration Partnership proposal.

Private John Fielding, who served as Pte John Williams in the 24th Regiment of Foot, was one of 145 men at the remote post on January 22, 1879 who defended the station against around 4,000 Zulus.

When he and fellow soldier Pte Alfred Hook ran out of ammunition, they managed to hold off attackers using bayonets, allowing eight patients in the mission hospital to escape to safety.

He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions. Pte Williams died in Ty Coch, Cwmbran, in 1932 and was buried with full military honours.

Cllr Cunningham said: �The partnership has been successful in helping to lever in several thousand pounds of external funding to support regeneration in Cwmbran.

By working in partnership we are able to achieve greater results and deliver better projects on the ground for local communities.�

The partnership, which is made up of representatives from Cwmbran Community Council, Croesyceiliog and Llanyravon Community Council and Torfaen council, has also seen funding approved towards the restoration of Llanyravon Manor rural heritage centre and for improved visitor information and signage at Cwmbran Railway Station.

Other projects supported include enhancements at the Blaen Bran Community Woodland and the development of a community orchard at Llanyravon boating lake."

As you can see, it does just refer to a new headstone for the grave.

Smile
margaret mcfarlane

Does anyone know if there is to be some sort of service? I should love to know as I am from Cwmbran and my father, when a youngster, knew John Fielding and was very proud of that.
The Scorer

I'd imagine that there would be a service of dedication once everything's done, but how formal this will be I wouldn't know.

I'll try to keep an eye out for any news, but our friend Colin will be the best person to advise, given his family links.

Smile
John Fielding VC - BBC Wales 21/03/2012