rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Long view
Peter Quantrill

Photograph by kind permission of battlefield tour guide, Paul Naisch, taken by him in January 2012 from the crest of Oscaberg (Shiyane.)
Client in foreground.

peterw

Great shot and very informative - thank you.

Peter
(wishing he had made the climb when he visited in 2002 - sigh)
Martin Everett

He is standing near the rock where Lt William Whitelock Lloyd 1/24th - painted his view Wagons on the neck at Isandlwana through a telescope in 1879 - see 'Soldier Artist in Zululand' - page 93

Peter Ewart

Peter Q - Many thanks from me, too, for this wonderful picture. And of course to Paul.

Peter W - Ditto! My biggest regret too, though I hope to correct it one day. Didn't think of it at the time but probably didn't have time anyway.

Martin - Just checked Lloyd's picture (p93). If he saw through his telescope as much detail as he painted - and we must presume he did - then it indicates how much detail, from the same vantage point and angle, that Smith, Reynolds and Witt managed to see through Smith's binoculars during the later stages of the battle and its climax. (Lloyd's painting on p92 is presumably from a different vantage point and slightly different angle, as indicated by DR's caption).

There are one or two magnificent photos from this spot posted on this site by Jamie among his spectacular series of Isandlwana views.

Peter
rich

You now it just so happens that I am currently dipping into Hamilton-Browne's "A Lost Legionary in South Africa. And I come across this passage by him noting his trek to Isandhlwana just before the battle:

"So I kept on down that valley which presently opened out into a big plain, and on the far side of it, about 13 miles off, was a queer-shaped mountain, the ground gently rising to the base of it. With my glasses I could discren a long white line which I knew to be tents. The name of that mountain was Isandlwana and the time was then 9am on the 22nd January 1879".

Bibliofile page 127 (Chapter: The Day of Isandlwana)

Just wondering, is Hamilton-Brownes' position anywhere in the pix above??

Rich
The valley Hamilton Browne refers to is the Magogo/Silutshane valley which is 13 miles past Isandlwana as viewed in the above photo. He is describing the view of Isandlwana looking from the opposite side looking towards the camera. The valley is off to the right of the photo. I'll try and post a pic.

Thanks Mel...Got it now visually with those reference points you noted.
Like Will Rogers all I know so far of Isandhlwana is from the "papers". There's really nothing as being there in person to take in those points. But pix are the next best.

And btw as an aside, all I'll say is that Hamilton-Browne is not what we can consider "politically-correct" in his memoir when he talks about things. Reading journals like his now are like going back in time taking in the cultural, political and societal mores of the day.

Rich

HB writes in a very flamboyant style and his books have been described as 'Boys Own'. Like that children's magazine, there is a goodly portion of fiction and self-aggrandizement in his Zulu War tome (I haven't read his NZ book). One should also be wary of the fact that the book was published c. 1912 and by that date his memory had faded considerably. The work is redolent with errors of fact.

KIS
rich

Hello Keith...hope you're doing well 'down there"... Wink ....

Yes, that's right. While I read, I know he has in him while he writes in the 'style' of the day and his writing is subject to how can we say it embellishment. I think he wants those who read him to think fighting Zulus in the dongas was having "fun"! Now in one way I do like his book because he does give us a peek at his personality and those on whom he writes about. There's one thing I did notice and that he was very circumspect on the Isandhlwana disaster. I didn't think he wanted to ruffle anybody's feelings. But the one thing I found he really so intent on carping on was "laagering".

Now one thing which I wanted to followup on and that's when HB made a reference to a certain Captain Church. He made that reference in relation to to those who wanted an answer of what happened (of what I could pick up) on Durnford's actions at the battle. He said they could look in "that Colenso" book". I guess it's in her "History of the Zulu War", is that right? Or is HB referring to another tome that was written by her where I assume she is "defending" Durnford? And HB really doesn't say anything about Durnford at all in "A Lost Legionary".

Seeing this photo makes me realise how little I know of the terrain immediately west of Mt. Isandlwana, though not as far back as Rorke's Drift, as well as the western side of the mountain itself, shown from various angles and distances, much like we've seen of the actual battlefield.

I know it means someone supplying colour images of the former areas, but considering it was where the Right Horn came round and Shepstone's stand, it'd be good to see the lay of the land at this location, including what seems to be quite a slope up to the nek from the west, between the mountain and the stony koppie.

Coll
Mark Hobson

Coll

I have several photos of the terrain west of Isandlwana, not only from the nek at the southern tip but also from the northern tip of the mountain. They show the area looking across towards the Manzimyama valley, and also the view westward as seen from Shepstone's grave.

The only problem is that I have no idea how to post them here!

If anyone could help with this?

Mark Hobson
Coll

Mark

That'd be fantastic. I could be wrong, but the terrain on the western side of Isandlwana, as well as of the mountain itself, doesn't appear to have been covered previously in much detail, obviously partly due to being on the opposite side of the battlefield. However, knowing what it is like in colour photos, would be an absolute bonus.

Thankyou

Coll
Mark Hobson

I can certainly say that the terrain on the western flank of Isandlwana is very rugged, especially around the area of Shepstone's grave. His grave itself is much higher up the slope than I expected, difficult to find and very rocky.

A few years ago myself and some colleagues followed the route of the Right Horn on foot, from the Ngwebeni valley all the way to the west of Isandlwana. We only did it at walking pace which left us pretty winded, and the distances are huge in scale.

I'll post the pics if an offer of help comes.
Alan
Site Admin

Mark, send them to me.